Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys anybody know of a 2017 Chevy 2500 HD hood with the new vent air dam fit on a 2016 Chevy 2500HD? I sure do like the new hood with the cool air intake vent on the hood.

Reactions: Woonie

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
I have been trying to order the 2017 hood from a couple of the dealers I use for few months. so far they are unavailable.

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
I have a body shop so even if it isn't a perfect fit I can fabricate and modify.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a body shop so even if it isn't a perfect fit I can fabricate and modify.
Well let me know how you make out and if it is a direct bolt on. If it isn the can you maybe take some pics or video of the fabrication

Reactions: kyle.johns.9003

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
my pleasure

Reactions: Muzbomb

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is a direct bolt on. Just have to also buy the vent, insulation and valve. Couple guys have already done this and posted on facebook. Hoods and valves are currently on backorder.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
i saw earlier, that the water drip plug hits some wires, but you can unclip them and move them and it clears everything fine.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
"Bird Catcher"

Reactions: BARSR

·
Registered
78 Posts
I read in another thread on this forum that the hinges are different as well due to extra weight and the way the hood has to angle out as it opens. The contributor mentioned that he works for GM in in the plant where these are built. If you search the 2017 non-powertrain forum you should find his comments. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

So assuming you swap in the 2017 hood would you hook the scoop into the cold air intake? Or just use the extra air to cool the engine? Or just block it off so additional road/off road debris doesn't coat your engine? From what I read on some PR site the GM engineers mentioned that the real challenge with this design was to dry the air before it mixed with the fuel...

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
yes the air comes in and goes to the left side of the hood,and as the air then goes to the right side where the intake is there's a catch basin that prevents water from going to the intake filter. I was looking forward to doing this project but these hoods might be "back ordered" for a while

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am going to call BS on anyone doing this swap yet , could be wrong but I doubt they are available to even try it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yes the air comes in and goes to the left side of the hood,and as the air then goes to the right side where the intake is there's a catch basin that prevents water from going to the intake filter. I was looking forward to doing this project but these hoods might be "back ordered" for a while
So is there room for the catch basin and all the extra tubing in a '16? Also, someone mentioned a valve, is the valve a damper that opens the air duct/scoop on the hood when the gas pedal is pushed?

I like the look of the hood scoop but I have to say, seems like it could be a lot of $$$ and work for something that is either only cosmetic or semi-functional.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am going to call BS on anyone doing this swap yet , could be wrong but I doubt they are available to even try it.
How about your carry you're DA over to the LML Duramax Brethren on FB and see that TWO have already done it WITH PICS. Some wiring actually has to be moved for the drain basin to fit while the hood is closed. YES...YOU'RE WRONG. SO GM produces vehicles but no spare parts for the body shops in the event of accidents???? REALLY????

Reactions: Muzbomb and toxic

·
Registered
107 Posts
So is there room for the catch basin and all the extra tubing in a '16? Also, someone mentioned a valve, is the valve a damper that opens the air duct/scoop on the hood when the gas pedal is pushed?

I like the look of the hood scoop but I have to say, seems like it could be a lot of $$$ and work for something that is either only cosmetic or semi-functional.
Some wiring has to be unclipped and moved in order for the drain basin to fit in place with the hood closed. The scoop is always open. The valve is nothing more than a water drain that sits in the bottom of the basin. This is a fully functioning system and GM didn't install it for looks. This has been done for decades to help increase airflow at high speed. WS6 Trans-Am was similar as well as 442 Olds and many others. But YOU have to decide if the cost is worth it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Some wiring has to be unclipped and moved in order for the drain basin to fit in place with the hood closed. The scoop is always open. The valve is nothing more than a water drain that sits in the bottom of the basin. This is a fully functioning system and GM didn't install it for looks. This has been done for decades to help increase airflow at high speed. WS6 Trans-Am was similar as well as 442 Olds and many others. But YOU have to decide if the cost is worth it.
I think we all agree the new hood looks better, but can the engine do anything with the extra air; more than the few HP you get by adding a K&N style cold air intake? I could see it doing better than the K&N if used in conjunction with a programmer to also provide the engine with more fuel, but then don't you risk straining other drive components? In the new Duramax system GM also installed beefier U-joints etc to handle the extra power output by the new engine.

In comparison to the Trans-Am and Olds the front of these trucks already allows for a lot of air flow into the intake, as the front of the grill has a lot of openings and is at pretty much a 90 degree angle, not allowing the bulk of the air to flow over the grill and onto the hood and over the vehicle.

I am not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to get to the science of it all and set expectations. Again, I personally really like the look and functionality if the engine and drive train can take advantage of it. Personally I would pay a few K for say 30lbs more torque and 40 more HP as I find my '16 to be somewhat sluggish, even when empty.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
How about your carry you're DA over to the LML Duramax Brethren on FB and see that TWO have already done it WITH PICS. Some wiring actually has to be moved for the drain basin to fit while the hood is closed. YES...YOU'RE WRONG. SO GM produces vehicles but no spare parts for the body shops in the event of accidents???? REALLY????
How bout posting a link? Love to see it, and I already attempted to order parts and they are not available yet ,so my MOST HUMBLE APOLIGIES TO YOU AND ALL IN THE ENTIRE DURAMAX COMMUNITYS, GHEEEEZ !!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
How bout posting a link? Love to see it, and I already attempted to order parts and they are not available yet ,so my MOST HUMBLE APOLIGIES TO YOU AND ALL IN THE ENTIRE DURAMAX COMMUNITYS, GHEEEEZ !!!
Lol...sorry man. I've been on a roll lately. ;) Go join "LML Duramax Brethren" group on FB. Josh Boggs is one of the guys that first did the mod. Another just finished his a couple days ago and has pics but he didn't buy the insulation. All parts are now available except the hood. As of a couple days ago GM has blocked the sale of hoods unless you give them a 2017 VIN. They have to supply the repair market first so they're making sure of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
DangerousDuramax, Thanks !! I tried to look it up with no luck , I am not on FB but searched best I could, can you send a link maybe? Rdwngr posted awhile back it could not be done !!! but anything can be done if you really want it.
It even looks like the airbag might be able to be adapted with some work. I did a 2010-14 bumper Grille swap with a 1500 hood back in 2011 and that could not be done either but it actually was as easy as replacing vin matched parts. So I do get it! I want that hood with the opening color matched just cause! But I am also guessing it's going to be a pricey deal..

·
Registered
107 Posts
DangerousDuramax, Thanks !! I tried to look it up with no luck , I am not on FB but searched best I could, can you send a link maybe? Rdwngr posted awhile back it could not be done !!! but anything can be done if you really want it.
It even looks like the airbag might be able to be adapted with some work. I did a 2010-14 bumper Grille swap with a 1500 hood back in 2011 and that could not be done either but it actually was as easy as replacing vin matched parts. So I do get it! I want that hood with the opening color matched just cause! But I am also guessing it's going to be a pricey deal..
If you're not on FB then you wont be able to see it because its a closed group you have to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/LMLDuramaxBrethren/

Not sure why anyone would say it cant be done because the hood is identical to the 14-16 with the addition of the flow path to the air filter and the water catch basin. Just have to move some wires so that the water basin fits with the hood closed. One thing to note...this mod will be useless if you don't change to an open air filter design or cut a hole in your current filter housing. First pic is the 2017 hood and parts installed on a 2016 truck. Second pic shows the filter box design with the hole and seal on a 2017 so that the the air is forced into the box.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 225 Posts