Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
So I'm looking at the diagrams for the 16 airbox and the 17 airbox...The bottom of the box looks quite similar. Has anyone tried to just switch that out or does the top piece of the 16 not mate with the 17 bottom portion?
LML airbox and L5P airbox are totally incompatible , if you look at the location of the inlets outlets angles you will see they are 1000% different, I have the seal and am trying to make a really nice factory looking and functioning piece to put in the lid on the LML factory air box lid and think it should be a fairly easy mod once I figure the adapter between the seal and the box lid. My biggest problem is time, I have none!!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
LML comes out and heads back toward the firewall / L5P comes out and heads toward the drivers side to center of the engine then turns back

Attachments

Reactions: Muzbomb

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I'm talking about the actual box piece not the lid. tracking that the lids are different bc of different routing for piping. but to me the boxes look quite similar. I ordered one so I can play around with it and make my hood functional. might just end up doing like carhauler and cut the piece I need and figure out something to make it work.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
HEy guys I am wondering are the new 2018 Chevy hood metal or aluminum?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm talking about the actual box piece not the lid. tracking that the lids are different bc of different routing for piping. but to me the boxes look quite similar. I ordered one so I can play around with it and make my hood functional. might just end up doing like carhauler and cut the piece I need and figure out something to make it work.
I was going to buy the whole box as it was not backordered and comes with the rubber seal to hood and figured with the filter and seal it was 1/3 of the money but the filter is different, would be interesting to see if the lower box section could work but I am thinking not. If you get it let us know and I will let all know if I can talk AFE out of the part the goes between the box and seal and adapt it to the lid.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Anybody know if it matters or not but can the heat insulator pad go on the hood with out having the duct system on? I take it the duct system clips in the square holes under the hood and the insulator pad clips Into the round holes on the hood and shouldn’t matter if the duct is there or not?? I want to get my hood going but I will be doing the duct system later down the road.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It should work fine , maybe just use the one off the 16 hood for now , worse case you might have to put a extra push pin or hole in. I can't remember for sure but there might be a couple hold down holes in the duct work

Reactions: Muzbomb

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Does anybody know for sure or has anyone ever done it. That the heat insulator pad under the hood on a 2016 work for sure on a 2017 hood?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You have a 16 and want to get a 17 hood , as the insulator is not necessary it is a easy test fit, the worst case is it won't fit nothing ventured nothing gained? Just use a tool to pull the pins carefully so the insulator stays intact they are not very strong.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can you put a '17/'18 hood with everything on it, insulator, duct system, etc. on a '16 and close the hood? If so the air would just be incoming on the passengers side and push some hot air out on the underside of the engine bay, right? The truck would then have the '17/'18 look but the scoop and incoming air function would be doing nothing other than cooling the engine bay a tad.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Can you put a '17/'18 hood with everything on it, insulator, duct system, etc. on a '16 and close the hood? If so the air would just be incoming on the passengers side and push some hot air out on the underside of the engine bay, right? The truck would then have the '17/'18 look but the scoop and incoming air function would be doing nothing other than cooling the engine bay a tad.
Yes absolutely

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I'm selling the stock Air Filter unit with a K&N drop in, all you need is flange gasket to hood

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I just ordered a S&B intake with an extra clear lid. I'm going to try to fab something. I will post pics if it works.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
so I installed my S&B dry filter air intake about 2 weeks ago. I went from 12.7/13.4mpg to 13.8/14.8mpg in the first week. then I was able to modify an extra S&B cover i ordered and add the piece that mates to the 2017 hood. I installed that this past Sunday. I went from 13.8/14.8mpg to 15.6/16.6mpg since Sunday. Keep in mind I have a 6.5" BDS lift, 325/60r20 MT tires on 12x20 rims. i think the hood scoop works!!

Attachments

Reactions: Woonie and toxic

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I can think of no explanation of how an air cleaner update could effect mileage that much. I would think it would be hard to tell any difference at all.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I can think of no explanation of how an air cleaner update could effect mileage that much. I would think it would be hard to tell any difference at all.
I didn't think I was going to see much of a difference either but I sh*t you not I'm at 15.8/16.3mpg today. I have a 24 mile drive to work. 80% of the drive is on 2 highways. The first highway is 65MPH(I'm locked in at 73) the second highway is 70MPH(I'm locked in at 78). The other 20% is traffic lights/back roads and doing 25mph on a military base.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Hey guys just a quick check for my 2016 2500HD a 2017 to 2019 hood will fit correct?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Direct bolt on, pretty expensive swap by the time you purchase the hood & paint & buy the parts to make it operational. Unless you can find one that is from a wreck with no hood damage. I purchased all mine from GM $$$

201 - 220 of 225 Posts