Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a P0183 code cause slight smoking? Will it attempt to add more fuel because it senses the cold, when really it isn't cold? Hopefully my sig will come up but if not, its a 2004 2500hd with the LB7 with 105,000 miles. I just bought it in Texas and drove it back to Ontario. I spent several days down South driving it with no issues. After a couple of tanks of fuel, the check engine light came on. I checked it on my scanner and it was P0183. Fuel temperature code. Shortly after that, I noticed it smoking at idle. I guess it would be best described as white because you can hardly see it in the daylight, but at night you can see it quite plainly, while idling. If you let it continue to idle it will go away. The oil level has remained at a normal level and does not smell like fuel. Cold starts do not produce smoke, only after warming up.Check engine light has been on and off, always with the same code and seems to come on shortly after fueling up. Any ideas? I got the complete previous warranty breakdown from the dealer in Texas and it does not show any issues, only an instrument cluster claim. Let me know if you have any ideas because I have to pass an emission test in Southern Ontario to get it plated and if there is any smoke, it will fail.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just BUMP'n it TtT

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I would post and let those interested know what I found out. Changed oil and fuel filter. No change to smoking or code.
Changed out the $80 fuel temp sensor. Cleared codes. Came back next fillup. GRRR.
Decided to leave it and screw with it when I have some disposable cash.
Ran Sunoco Gold for a few tanks to see if there was any difference in the smoking. No change.
Bought some Diesel Kleen cetane boost and added the recommended amount. No change.
Next fillup dumped in the rest of Diesel Kleen because it must be snake oil. Light went out 50k later and stayed out :confused:
So I guess I will continue to use the Diesel Kleen now, but can't figure out what that can possibly have to do with fuel temperature.
And oh yeah, it still smokes white/grey at idle. I still have almost a year on the injector warranty, so I figure I will wait for a while, because I understand GM will warranty the new/reman injectors for another year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts