Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have an LBZ that has an airdog raptor lift pump installed. I just bought this truck in July and it runs like a champ! This morning I went to key on the truck and I noticed that the raptor lift pump was not running.
I have a brand new airdog lift pump with the two filter set up for a Cummins I bought last year but never installed. That Cummins has had issues so the brand new pump has just been sitting around collecting dust. I was wondering if I could use this lift pump on the LBZ? I know I would have to make a new bracket to mount it to the frame, that’s no big deal. But as far as the pump itself, it should be the same set up across the board correct? Please let me know if this is confusing or I need to clarify.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additionally, I have plenty of hose to run a new pump as well. That shouldn’t be an issue either. I just want to see if the pumps are the same across the board from airdog. I feel like the only difference between kits for different trucks would be the bracket, amount of hose supplied, and potentially the wiring harness? That’s what may not be compatible but I already have the harness from the raptor

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
Id direct that question to Air Dog, but Im betting they will tell you the only differences are in the mounting and hose connections

·
Registered
584 Posts
I believe the output pressure on that Cummins lift pump is going to be higher than you want it. I don't know much about the Airdogs, but as long as you can adjust the output pressure down below 10psi you should be fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the output pressure on that Cummins lift pump is going to be higher than you want it. I don't know much about the Airdogs, but as long as you can adjust the output pressure down below 10psi you should be fine.

Is that what the lift pump pressure should be on the duramax? About 10 PSI? And also, I will try to drive as little as I can, but until I get the pump installed, do you guys think it would be okay to drive? I know the CP3 would work harder though but when it went out my rail pressure didn’t appear to be out of whack

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is that what the lift pump pressure should be on the duramax? About 10 PSI? And also, I will try to drive as little as I can, but until I get the pump installed, do you guys think it would be okay to drive? I know the CP3 would work harder though but when it went out my rail pressure didn’t appear to be out of whack

10psi? mine came factory set on 19 and has been like that for a few years with no problems at all

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So 10 is too low? What would recommended be then?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So 10 is too low? What would recommended be then?

I’m not sure. You’ve got me worried mines set to high lol. But to be honest when you think about it all the lift pump is doing is supplying fuel to the cp4 so as long as it’s a positive pressure under a good load it should be good. And the un used fuel is recirculated back into the tank so if I’m thinking about it correctly with mine being set at 19 I’m probably working the pump a lot harder then it needs to be considering with my truck with a 18k trailer in the mountains the fuel pressure drops about 2-4psi on a steep grade so 10psi should be plenty unless you see fuel pressure drop to 0 when under a load are hard acceleration then I would turn it up so it doesn’t drop below 5psi.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are all freaking each other out! Haha but that was my next question...should it be turned up if it is 0 at WOT. Like someone earlier said tho it’s worth a phone call

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha then I guess 19 is extreme! Anyways I will let you guys know what I find about this. The only thing I can think of that would be different would be the wiring harness! But even so as long as the pump has constant supply from somewhere it should be fine? It’s a 100gph so it’s the smaller one but I’m hoping it it’ll work so I save the money during the most expensive time of the year

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haha then I guess 19 is extreme! Anyways I will let you guys know what I find about this. The only thing I can think of that would be different would be the wiring harness! But even so as long as the pump has constant supply from somewhere it should be fine? It’s a 100gph so it’s the smaller one but I’m hoping it it’ll work so I save the money during the most expensive time of the year

Haha yeah 19 might be a little high! lol just testing for fuel leaks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha that’s for sure good info tho guys thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like denarli6.6 said, output is recommended by FASS and Airdog to be between 8-10 psi for the Duramax. I would definitely turn down the output pressure if it is at 19 psi.

Yeah it’s on my list of stuff to do. On another question do y’all know if they make steel fuel fittings for the fuel lines going to the lift pump? Those plastic fittings seem kinda sketchy. If not does anyone keep extras in there truck or do they never break?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Are you talking about those quicklock fittings the Airdogs use? I don't run an Airdog, but I have not personally heard of anyone having a reliability issue with them.
FASS uses a metal barbed fitting that the hose slips on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you talking about those quicklock fittings the Airdogs use? I don't run an Airdog, but I have not personally heard of anyone having a reliability issue with them.

FASS uses a metal barbed fitting that the hose slips on.

Yes that’s what I meant. I wonder if the fass fittings are compatible with the air dog? The reason I ask is Because it’s not no road princess and I’ve ripped stuff out from under a truck before so I can just see those plastic fittings getting broke

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those fittings should be interchangeable! And quick update, the airdog that was for the Cummins does indeed work with the duramax! Slight difference where power is drawn and length of fuel line supplied but other than that it is good to go

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Yep, 19 is way to high for the Dmax 8-10 is recommended.
That’s the recommended psi for Dodge.
Give AirDog a phone call and get the good correct advice from the people that actually make the LP.
[email protected] AirDog (877) 421-3187
“One call that’s all”
FASS has the same 8-10 max advertised psi, there must be a good reason
Both websites show the recommended psi for every LP they sell for all diesels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts