Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i am new here and new to diesels. I have owned a 96 ram with the 5.9L V8 POS and time for me to upgrade. I just boght land so I need more of a workhorse. I have narrowed it down to 2. The 2004 or newer dodge ram 2500 cummins diesel 4x4 with a manual trans or a 2003 or newer silverado with the duramax diesel 4x4 with an auto trans. I know some one who i go hunting with and he has the cummins and it started every time when it was 10 degrees out and he said he has never had a problem with it and his buddy had a power stroke and it wouldn't start at all had to plug it in. So that was one deciding factor. I don't know about the duramax though so I was wondering how it starts in the winter and if you need to plug it in or not? I was also wondering if you could give me some info both pros and cons on the duramax...just trying to get the best truck I can.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Wll, my truck has had no problems starting in the winter here in interior Alaska. I just use synthetic oil and stanadyne additive. I also have a remote starter for it and it has a timer that can make it start every three hours. I go snowmobiling and it has been -25F and still started. I haven't just left it sitting without either being plugged in or having the remote starter being set to start every 3 hours. I do know that I had a friend with a Ford and he didn't plug his truck in for about 4 or 5 hours when it was -25F out and it wouldn't start. I think it was because he wasn't using synthetic oil at the time. I don't normally plug in my truck until about 0 or below and I have had no problems here. The only problem that I have heard on a DMAX was a friend had his heater element go out on his fuel filter head...and then he only had problems when the temp was -35F or below.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. so have you ever let it sit without plugging it in and or letting it start every 3 hours in the winter when it was like 17 degrees or so because I am in missouri and it rarley ever gets that cold.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
All the time. I just use synthetic oil and it doesn't sound so bad starting up.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
When i first got mine i pluged it in, now i dont it started fine all winter just a slight haze of white smoke for about 30 sec. to a min.after start up, never any knocking or hesitation. temps range here in the winter from like +35 to 0 with a couple of colder days here and there!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you all like the duramax as far as pulling and what not and maintenance. It is my first time dealng with diesel so is there different grades of fuel for it or does it all work? I know there are glow plugs in diesels and not plugs so how often/expensive do you have to replace them? Sorry I know alot about gas and just wanting to know about periodic maintenance since I do most the stuff on my own, oil changes, brakes, plugs, wires so any thing I need to watch out for let me know. Or point me in the right place that I can read up on it. Thanks all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts