Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys....
I haven't been on here in a long time, I've been busy trying to move to Hawaii.
Anyway I need to store my 2012 in a non climate controlled garage for about 6 months. The truck will be in Missouri. As I'm sure you know, it gets cold there. Some winters more than a week at a time it's below freezing.
What do I need to do to it to allow it to sit unattended for that amount of time?
Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
A trickle charger and make sure the antifreeze is up to snuff for the temps they get there, should be all you need.
A good one that monitors the charge state and does not just constantly charge the batteries, or it can ruin the batteries

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about fogging the engine? Should that be done? What about all the oil running down from the top end(rocker arms, pushrods etc.)? Will the top end parts start to rust sitting that long with no oil?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Can't fog a diesel you'll have a runaway, till all the oil is used up.
Mine gets parked in the winter all I ever do .is charge the battery.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi guys....
I haven't been on here in a long time, I've been busy trying to move to Hawaii.
Anyway I need to store my 2012 in a non climate controlled garage for about 6 months. The truck will be in Missouri. As I'm sure you know, it gets cold there. Some winters more than a week at a time it's below freezing.
What do I need to do to it to allow it to sit unattended for that amount of time?
Thank you in advance for any help.
I recommend a battery charger like the "BatteryMINDer® Model 1510" which is temperature compensated. It will also auto detect the type of battery i.e. sealed lead acid, AGM, marine, etc. The float voltage is type and temp dependent, so having the float voltage correct will prevent over/under charging which gives longer battery life.

You may what to consider having someone check on the truck every month or two to see if the charger is working.

Cinno

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK guys thanks for the advice. I do have a battery tender that I use for my Harley, I guess I can use that. I will also do an antifreeze change.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah.........If I put the charger on the start battery, does the auxiliary battery get maintained also?

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
I would put stanadyne or some other diesel fuel additive and fill up your tank. When I left my truck sit while I was in Korea (sat for about 6 months without being started. I changed my oil, put it on jack stands, had stanadyne added during my last fill-up, and disconnected the batteries. Had no issues when coming back and getting it going again. Granted my garage was heated, but I had it set to the lowest temp I could on the thermostat.

for yours, if you have rodents like mice that could get in the engine compartment, place some dryer sheets around the engine bay and in the exhaust pipe It should keep them away and not chewing your wires.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would put stanadyne or some other diesel fuel additive and fill up your tank. When I left my truck sit while I was in Korea (sat for about 6 months without being started. I changed my oil, put it on jack stands, had stanadyne added during my last fill-up, and disconnected the batteries. Had no issues when coming back and getting it going again. Granted my garage was heated, but I had it set to the lowest temp I could on the thermostat.

for yours, if you have rodents like mice that could get in the engine compartment, place some dryer sheets around the engine bay and in the exhaust pipe It should keep them away and not chewing your wires.
There are mice in the garage. I put sticky traps around the tires and triple wide around the perimeter of the truck.
I'll do the dryer sheets too, thanks for that tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts