Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Nebraska and this will be my first winter with the duramax. Just wanted to see what people would recommend I do for the winter so the truck stays in good condition and is ready even when it is -10.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
run synthetic oil and use a fuel additive. plug it in when it gets below zero. You will want to use at least the grille cover too. Other than that, the truck should have no problems.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I always change the fuel filter on one of the last weeks of decent weather. Changing the filter in freezing weather sucks ballz. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^how do you know how? :rof So does installing an exhaust, mp, egr blocker and other misc things in the middle of a field basically :drink

the fuel additive is quite important, make sure when the temps get down there you begin adding it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you need to add it every tank or how often? My first winter with my dmax too.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yes, when the temps get down there I run some every tank, as opposed to every other like I usually run. having your fuel start to gel sucks..

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I just got a wix filter and amsoil cold additive preparing for the cold weather in Ohio, I don't know about all trucks but I've heard a lot and mine does shift hard on cold start so don't be alarmed

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When a cold snap is forcast try to make a habbit of filling up with fuel from a station that sell plenty of fuel and add some Power Service (cheap and good).Plugging in a Duramax is never needed to start but putting a timer on the block heater (2 hours before starting) will save some cold start wear.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
I always change the fuel filter on one of the last weeks of decent weather. Changing the filter in freezing weather sucks ballz. Ask me how I know.
x100000000000000000000000

Nothing worse than freezing off your fuel supply and that nice big heater stopping in the middle of no where when it's -30C.... I carry a spare fuel filter now ... ffs

·
Registered
370 Posts
1st winter with a diesel as well. So this may sound like a dumb question but how does the grill cover help cold starts in the winter? Or are you implying that in really cold weather that there is a possability that your fuel will gel at the block while driving it?

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
All the front cover does is prevent the fan from sucking in cold air, helps warm it up quicker after starting and keep it warm while going down the road or if/when you have to idle it all day, we do this often up here in .ca, my job doesn't have a plug in where I go.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The winter front is for cab heat. W/O it you could drive 15 miles before you feel warmth coming in the cab

·
Registered
370 Posts
ok thanks for the info.....where do you buy these things at? Is there a possability of overheating?

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
not sure where you find the bra's at... I don't personally use it, I just pop the cover off the top of the rads, and stick some cardboard down there, I block 85% of my rads because it gets really f'in cold up here some days, and you can't tell it's there and I don't hide the billet grille :)

Yes you can over heat it if it's an oddly warm day and you are towing. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
EBay has em. Or go to a dealer and assume the position.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I ve started mine before went back inside and had it die on me once

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Plugging in is not usually needed but it doesn't hurt anything. I usually run the winter front when warming up in winter/ driving around town. If going on a long road trip I pull over after the truck is warmed up and take the winter front off. I've noticed a noticable differance in my fuel economy doing this.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Cold weather sry lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App

1 - 20 of 55 Posts