Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Winter Weather

6K views 54 replies 25 participants last post by  05Rattler 
#1 ·
I live in Nebraska and this will be my first winter with the duramax. Just wanted to see what people would recommend I do for the winter so the truck stays in good condition and is ready even when it is -10.

#2 ·
run synthetic oil and use a fuel additive. plug it in when it gets below zero. You will want to use at least the grille cover too. Other than that, the truck should have no problems.

#10 ·
x100000000000000000000000

Nothing worse than freezing off your fuel supply and that nice big heater stopping in the middle of no where when it's -30C.... I carry a spare fuel filter now ... ffs

#4 ·
^how do you know how? :rof So does installing an exhaust, mp, egr blocker and other misc things in the middle of a field basically :drink

the fuel additive is quite important, make sure when the temps get down there you begin adding it.

#5 ·
Do you need to add it every tank or how often? My first winter with my dmax too.

#6 ·
Yes, when the temps get down there I run some every tank, as opposed to every other like I usually run. having your fuel start to gel sucks..

#7 ·
I just got a wix filter and amsoil cold additive preparing for the cold weather in Ohio, I don't know about all trucks but I've heard a lot and mine does shift hard on cold start so don't be alarmed

#8 ·
When a cold snap is forcast try to make a habbit of filling up with fuel from a station that sell plenty of fuel and add some Power Service (cheap and good).Plugging in a Duramax is never needed to start but putting a timer on the block heater (2 hours before starting) will save some cold start wear.

#11 ·
1st winter with a diesel as well. So this may sound like a dumb question but how does the grill cover help cold starts in the winter? Or are you implying that in really cold weather that there is a possability that your fuel will gel at the block while driving it?

#12 · (Edited)
All the front cover does is prevent the fan from sucking in cold air, helps warm it up quicker after starting and keep it warm while going down the road or if/when you have to idle it all day, we do this often up here in .ca, my job doesn't have a plug in where I go.

#14 ·
ok thanks for the info.....where do you buy these things at? Is there a possability of overheating?

#15 ·
not sure where you find the bra's at... I don't personally use it, I just pop the cover off the top of the rads, and stick some cardboard down there, I block 85% of my rads because it gets really f'in cold up here some days, and you can't tell it's there and I don't hide the billet grille :)

Yes you can over heat it if it's an oddly warm day and you are towing. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge.

#19 ·
Plugging in is not usually needed but it doesn't hurt anything. I usually run the winter front when warming up in winter/ driving around town. If going on a long road trip I pull over after the truck is warmed up and take the winter front off. I've noticed a noticable differance in my fuel economy doing this.

#21 ·
Depends how cold it gets where you live, if it gets to -10C here, my truck is plugged in...

wow, I couldn't be bothered to take the front on and off like that, I think what you are noticing is the fan is kicking in more because it's not cold enough for the front, more fan = less mpg.

#22 ·
Damnit.. I love winter but I hate the aweful things salt does to my truck!! Wish I could buy another duramax or an awd car and garage mine!

#23 ·
AMEN to that...i hate what the salt does to my truck. not only does it make it fall apart but it is a pain in the ass to work on. its so expensive to not drive a truck all year round though when ya pay around 50g's. and once it see one winter of ny salt...its game over so there is no reason to take her off the road:poke[1]:

#24 ·
It snowed here in Montana last night! Gonna be a while before it gets super cold, but I'd recommend a radiator cover of some sort and make sure ya run additive. Change your fuel filter when you change your oil during the winter, or more often even.

#26 ·
Where at in Nebraska are you from? I live by Phillips, a small town by Grand Island.

If it's real cold and you don't drive it very far in the mornings, you can plug it in and it'll help the truck warm up faster. Also the winter front helps if you drive on the highway or in town. It helps it stay warmer in cold weather.

However I've also noticed a big difference in mileage with mine on as well. Especially on the interstate. I kinda pull mine down so air gets into the radiator if I'm on the interstate. It does make a noticeable difference.

#28 ·
One of the biggest dissapiontments I have with my LMM is the salt dammage to the frame.The crap they paint the frame with (is it wax? ) holds up for less than a year before seroius rust spots develop.Before this winter I would like to recoat but with what? Do they sell the stuff GM uses or try to remove it and go with something else?Keeping the undercarrage clean all winter is something to keep up on.

#29 ·
There was an article in a issue of diesel power and they say how to do it. Basically you scrap the cheap shot of that factory puts on and you paint everything with a couple coats of rust olium

#31 ·
I would just scrape the whole frame and do it all once. IMO nock it out now and get the whole thing and just pressure wash it off as much as you can in the winter. I also pull my wheel wells out and wash down my engine too

#32 ·
We got to 40 below last year and my pickup sat in town for a weekend not plugged in it did start but took long time to get warm i would suggest plugging it in through a timer anytime it starts getting below freezing and always have diesel treat with you.

#37 ·
-40... gonna have to call bullshit on that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.