Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to need tires fairly soon i see, and my options are do a wheel/tire package (20's on 33's), or do a 6"-7" lift and put 315's on my 16's until spring, than buy a set of 20's or 22's on 35's.

I am leaning towards the lift/tires as winter will be coming before i need tires and i dont want to wreck a new set of wheels in the snow/salt.

Do Machined/Black Wheels get fairly wrecked in salt and snow? Or is it mostly just chrome that doesnt like salt/snow? I am leaning towards the Fuel Hostage Machined/Black with the Deep Dish, or a set of XD Monster's or XD Hoss's, but cannot decide. Which do you guys figure?

Also, well i am here, what would you guys recommend for a tire that looks good and is good on ice and fluffy/loose snow? I was leaning towards a Toyo MT or the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ. But need your guy's suggestion's.

Also, post pictures if any of you guys are running 315/75/16's with a lift or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If you can buy the lift now, and buy wheels/tires in the spring I would do that, JMO. My black/machined wheels have held up great through last winter. I just make a point to make it to the carwash and pressure wash the salt off them about once a week...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Well, don't want to dirty up your thread with a bunch of pics, but hopefully I can help a bit..
For me personally, I like the look of more tire.. but it's just me, and I'm old school lol. Anyways, i'd go for the lift now, might as well have some fun with it this winter with the extra ground clearance!

Here are my 315/75/16's at 6"

and here it is @ around 8"

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the lift/tires for winter. I already have Black/Machined Moto Metal 951's that i currently run all year round. I dont mind the look of small wheels and big tires but i perfer a good rtio of both (20's on 35's). I'm not gonna go over board and go something dumb like 24's on 35's.
Thanks for the pics Nvrplzd, looks good. How'd you raise it about 2" more, and how's th CV angles and ride now?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
thanks man. Yeah i realize a lot of people don't like the look, but I still do. I'm really going to throw some people off with my new setup.. but at the end of the day its my rig, and i'm the one that has to be happy with it, ya know?

anywho, I was curious and hadn't seen anyone do it before (or at least talk about doing so) so I thought i'd jump on to the chopping block and throw a leveling kit at my lift haha. Bought 2" leveling keys and shock extenders for the front and a 5" block for the rear (the one that comes stock with the Zone lift kits) I'm already running zone shocks, so they're made for the amount of lift anyways. As soon as I decide where I want to go with the truck I'm going to get rid of the shock extenders. But only time will tell. I don't have the keys run up too far, still have 1 1/10 of threads left on each. The ride is a little rougher, however not very noticeable to be honest with you. I can tell a bit of a difference, though still rides a ton better than any straight axle. The cv angles were completely flat with my lift kit, had my keys lowered to bring them there. Now they are at a bit of an angle, however just the same as any leveling kit i've ever seen. I can do without 4wd launches, i mean i'm throwing 37's on my setup for gosh sake, not like i'm extremely concerned about performance right now lol. As soon as i get back home and throw the new setup on i'm going to lower it as far as possible as well. Regretfully I can't get any pictures of my angles right now since i'm 1700 miles away from the rig, but i'll post some up when I get back and throw everything on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts