Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend i was towing my snowmobile trailer up to vermont and i had a light come on saying trailer connected then check trailer brakes and it kept coming on and off i stopped about 5 times on the way home to play with the plug and make sure it was in all the way. it was but still kept coming on. I also have a wire on the side of my fuse box in between that and the fender wrapped in electrical tape with an end on it that came factory? anyone have any idea what this is? and maybe will affect my trailer brakes and or problems?:help

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This past weekend i was towing my snowmobile trailer up to vermont and i had a light come on saying trailer connected then check trailer brakes and it kept coming on and off i stopped about 5 times on the way home to play with the plug and make sure it was in all the way. it was but still kept coming on. I also have a wire on the side of my fuse box in between that and the fender wrapped in electrical tape with an end on it that came factory? anyone have any idea what this is? and maybe will affect my trailer brakes and or problems?:help
I was told because we have factory brake controllers, that wire is if you wire in an aftermarket controller. I can not confirm this, but it seems to make sense as my 05 wasn't wired up for power until I hooked that up and used the included harness for my after market controller. Now they don't include the harness since we have the factory controllers, but still give you the option to add an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a buddy of mine told me it was for auxiliary power for the trailer hitch such as if you were towing a dump trailer to charge the battery on it. because the day i got my truck i had a mulching job to do and i used my dump trailer and it wasn't charging the battery.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Just went through a similar problem and I can confirm that the wire you are talking about is for an aftermarket brake controller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts