Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased backup lights 55W H3 fog lights with a blue lens. i wired them to the reverse lights and grounded them to the truck. i heard if i use a relay they will be brighter and i used 14 guage wire? Will they be better with a relay or ok with the way i did it?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Raise the lid on your trailer plug-in, :D the center pin is an isolated circuit for trailer backup lights.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Raise the lid on your trailer plug-in, :D the center pin is an isolated circuit for trailer backup lights.
And it is a dedicated 10 amp circuit. 10 amp X 12 volts = 120 watts. 2 x 55 watts = 110 watts. So plenty of power.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
so by hooking it up to my trailer harness that would make it brighter
Brighter is a factor of more voltage. Dim lights are caused by a voltage DROP over a wire that is too small. The wires going to the trailer plug for backup lights is rated at 10 amps which is more than what your lights will draw. Using a larger wire and circuit than this MAY create a brighter light but not noticeably so and not worth the effort IMO.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Can anyone tell me what color the reverse or 7th pin wire is? want to add some aux. back up lights.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
It's the center pin on the plug...easy enough to unplug the wire harness from the door mount (plug in a plug) and see. All of the trailer plug wiring diagrams have it as orange.

For the OP, I also found a posting describing the 3rd brake light camper feed (rolled up at the harness plug) as white, not light blue...My Bad. :booboo
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/t...my-trailer-batter-7pin-plug-4.html#post361816

·
Registered
148 Posts
If i were you i would put them on a switch alone cause i use mine alot when im behind my truck hooking up trailers or suck i also put a light in mounted to my tool box that lights up my bed much better.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not sure of the color off the top of my head but look at the cover of the plug,( providing its still there lol) and it gives the colors and the functions of each pin/wire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know how I can wire up some auxillary reverse lights that would be tapped into my 7 wire trailer plug with a relay so they are on while in reverse, I also want a switch in the cab to control these anytime i want as well as a separate switch near the bumper to control while I am hooking up the trailer, but here's the challenge, I would like for them only to come on in reverse if its night/dark, I would like to wire a relay into headlights somehow, I dont need the backup lights if its in the middle of the day. any help would be greatly appreciated, I am figuring that i will need several relays and two spst switches. Any assistance with this complex wiring diagram would be helpful

1 - 14 of 14 Posts