Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my truck this morning and the gear selector didn't light up on the gear I was in than putting it in rev it slammed into gear an did the same in drive, also won't stift out of 1st, a guy told me that their is a switch on the side of the tranny does anyone know what the name of it is I need to order it tomorrow.:help

·
Registered
455 Posts
I went through the same thing. Nsbu or neutral safety switch from napa. $40. Probably not as well built as the Allison oe but it's an easy change out and should be available.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I forgot. If u crawl under from driver side it's right on thee
side of tranny with two wire harnesses going into it. U will see the shifter connection going into it also. Check the diy ther is a good write up.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
and make sure you head to the local auto parts store and have them clear your codes if you cant do it yourself.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that the only switch on the tranny? The guy that told me this was whats wrong said it is common for these to go out.

I ordered a new switch this morn from GM retail 230.oo but my uncles bodyshop can get it for 170.oo.

This fricken sucks just installed my banks on sat. an than this crap happens.
ohwell I guess

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Good luck that should get you fixed up.

I see you live in Bemidji. I grew up in Pennington.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I live in Wilton, but ya Bemidj for 27yrs

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed my new NBSU switch today an still the same problem, has anyone heard of the NBSU switch also taking out the guage cluster? I have it at the local dealer now, hopfully will here from them in morning. this is getting rediculus I just bought the truck in Nov. already replaced the front wheel bearing, gauge cluster, NBSU switch, an now...
:help

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow, that was exactly what my truck did. Im curious to see what it is, let us know. Hopefully one of the pros will take a look at this.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Is it still stuck in 1st?? Try this. Unhook the valvebody harness on the right rear side of the trans, this will default the trans to Park, nuetral, reverse and only allow it to go into 3rd. This can help narrow some things down.

Also are there any codes??

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I have the same problem right now. I was adding some stero stuff and took the instrument cluster out, then put it back in. now i have no speedo, no gear selector, truck stuck in limp mode, "service brake system", and about 21 different codes throwing according to my efi live scanner.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes it is stuck in 1st but hte weird thing is no codes, 'm not very familiar with the valve body harness is it near the NBSU sw.?

It is at the dealer right now, so i'm kinda at their mercy till morning, a guy I know that used to work at a dealer that closed a few yrs ago worked on alot of the dmaxs told me sometimes the NBSU sw. can take out the gauge cluster...???? anyone hear this

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
let me know what they say. Im very reluctant to take mine to the dealer because of the EFI live tuning and the twins. They might make the problem worse. Probably going to run it to the diesel shop, only bad thing is the shop is 35 miles away.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya me too Idon't like others working on my truck, but I don't have the tech 3 to check codes or nonshowing codes.
it still runs good just won't shift or the gear selector won't light up, an the speedo won't move which kinda says the guage cluster is shot.?
Any techs out their have some insight?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
come to think of it my service brake system light is on also, I just thought it was my rear breaks that needed to be changed. Evidently something on both of ours is screwed up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did you disconnect the battery 1st. I was told to unhook the batt when I replaced my 1st guage cluster

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think it can arc when pulled an take them out. are you under 70k on the truck, if so they are warrentied at gm dealership.I've replaced 4, 2 in my 03, 1 in my 03 avalanche,an 1 in my 04 dmax. its very common for these to crap out, don't tell them you pulled it though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.