Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m guessing I dropped a valve. Prob 15k on s&s 65 over injectors.. did have a bit of a noisey valve train… fired it up few weeks ago let it run for an hour or so. Shut it down cause she’s been sitting for a few months waiting on parts fired it up the next day and heard a knocking/woofing sound… pushing air out the air box.. on the ol lb7 209k on it been through the engine a few times doing work but stock heads and all that on the rotating. So I’m gonna pull the motor and redo the heads, wrist pins, pistons maybe, bearings check all the standard stuff. My question is, should I buy those new heads that are out that don’t have the need for cups? Is it a horse a piece to rebuild my heads vs the cost of those new ones? I’d like to get some titanium retainers, double beehives upgrade the hold downs and whatever else Im forgetting. I’m not going for super extreme hopped up, but some good snort to her and still be a farm rig and hauling rig. Just hone the cylinder’s or get new forged pistons up a size?

I kinda haven’t monkeyed with my dirtymax for a while so not sure what’s all out there now for master rebuilds or reputable people to buy parts from for a good refresh on this engine. So I’m wondering who a guy should go through for a master rebuild and if I should just buy those R&R heads and put my old ones on the shelf or rebuild mine? I’d be happy with 700 some horse, but really not worried about how much I can get out of her but I know I’d like a better head job and a solid rotating above stock but not burn a hole in the ol checkbook. Which who am I kidding? Shouldn’t own a diesel if you are afraid to spend money.. I’m pretty invested in this thing.. pretty deep so can’t quit now. If you guys can help a guy out and point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.

Truck is for occasional showin off and goofing around, but mostly for doing heavy hauls and farming. I do enjoy going fast if this helps kinda give you an idea where I’m at in my head for build wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guys at the shop buddys of mine put a bigger turbo on by the way, I forget what they put on but she boosts good now for the short while she was going.
I also have a bunch of those stainless steel high pressure injector lines I want to get rid of, like 3 sets. One is brand new. One set only would replace when they leak. Unsure why they leak. But had no luck with them damn things if anyone is interested. Cannot get them to seal. Done torque specs you name it. I’m over them if anyone wants to buy them up or do some horse trading.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody?

· Former GM Tech and parts
4,241 Posts
First off, if you’re using the truck primarily for farm duties and hauling stuff, ‘700 some horse’ isn’t what you want to be shooting for. It really sounds like what you need is a good healthy like 500ish truck. You don’t need to do anything fancy to do that. Depending on tuning, with 65 overs and whatever turbo was put on is probably over that anyway, but I’m guessing it was probably smokey wasn’t it?
First off, get the heads off and see what you find. Then report back and see what we can help with. You may just need the heads rebuilt and put it back together, but you won’t know until you get it apart

Reactions: wydopen731

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, if you’re using the truck primarily for farm duties and hauling stuff, ‘700 some horse’ isn’t what you want to be shooting for. It really sounds like what you need is a good healthy like 500ish truck. You don’t need to do anything fancy to do that. Depending on tuning, with 65 overs and whatever turbo was put on is probably over that anyway, but I’m guessing it was probably smokey wasn’t it?
First off, get the heads off and see what you find. Then report back and see what we can help with. You may just need the heads rebuilt and put it back together, but you won’t know until you get it apart
Well I enjoy horsepower and torque I drag race for a hobby and I cannot help myself building things beyond what they should be. Haha
No smoke. And I figured I would ask and see if anyone had this similar situation. It’s parked in the pasture currently until I’m able to get at it. Then I may pull the whole engine and freshen it up or like you said, just pull the heads and rebuild them

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the problem. Snapped a 16th of the stem off on the intake valve must have turned and increased the length and blamo! Bent rod. No damage to piston not even a imprint. Cylinder walls has crosshatching still.
Boy..

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Wood Gesture Tool Hand tool Material property

· Former GM Tech and parts
4,241 Posts
Dang, that sucks. Yeah, those adjustable length push tubes will get you sometimes…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts