Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I’m actually helping a buddy look for a new truck I think . His 2014 1500 was totaled and is now in the market , biggest problem most dealers in my area Pa / NJ are closed due to Covid 19 .
He’s in a rental , seems like if your buying out right could be a good time to make a deal .
I have all ways had a GM product , currently I own a 2019 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax 4x4 , not many problems with this truck but last was a 2017 and three truck from hell .... I broke the general rule never buy the first year .
So my buddy is looking at all brands for truck , going to come down to the most dependable truck he can afford .
Not sure the quality of the newer GM trucks , I had another buddy who just got out of a lease with a 2017 1500 and it must have been built on a Friday before a holiday he said it was back to the dealer for over 20 repairs in the 3 years lease .
I admit my daily drive is a Toyota truck .
Any insite into the newer lighter duty trucks would be great .

·
Registered
486 Posts
If he doesn't need a diesel, buy the Toyota. I used to be die hard GM but no more, if I didn't have a heavy 5th wheel to pull the diesel would be gone as well.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Over the years I've owned 7 or 8 Chevy/GMC pickups. From 1500's to two 3500 duallies. (one gas and the latest is a Duramax) Yes, I've had a few problems, but not enough to make me buy a different brand. Maybe part of that is because I know where all the 'stuff' is located on a GM product.
My last truck, a GMC Sierra 1500 SLT CC 4/2 w/ 33.5K miles on the clock is 4 sale at the dealer. Never had an issue and it doesn't burn oil. Hated to trade it in, but I had an itch for a Duramax.
If your buddy is interested, PM me and I'll give you more details.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been a bowtie guy all my life, so since the 80's now and I'm about to give up. I still have 2 square bodies that I'll probably never get rid of but the newer ones are becoming more and more disappointing. The last new Chevy I really liked that didn't have to go back to the dealer for anything was a 1999 Suburban. That truck was perfect.

A 2004 LLY, a 2007 6.0 and a 2012 LML have not been nearly as good. And let's not even discuss the 2001 Suburban, what a turd. I had a 2004 Sub that was a little better.

The 2007 3500 SRW gasser actually wasn't that bad to me, it just took some time to get used to winding the piss out of it to pull a load after driving the old gen trucks all my life. It had the typical broken exhaust manifold bolts which was kind of a bummer to fix but not a huge deal, more time than money. If they had finished the tuning before going to market with it or at least issued some improved flashes after the fact, it could have been a decent experience.

The LLY had multiple clutch and flywheel issues, clutch and flywheel of all things, not exactly rocket science.

The LML, we won't even go there. It would take paragraphs.

I had a 2008 Expedition EL that I believe would have out-pulled my 6.0 3500HD truck. It was very near perfect. It shifted so smoothly you had to hear the engine or watch the tach to tell when it shifted under normal acceleration. My GM transmissions have not been good at all - crash shifts.

My wife is driving a 2013 MKX now, and I know it's not a truck, but it's been very good to us too.

Just my experience, and it pains me to say, Fords in recent years have been better to me than GM's.

Can't imagine the Toyota wouldn't be just about as good. I know they've had a few hiccups in recent years but I know some happy owners.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve been a GM guy for past 25 years. I’ve had 6 new picks in half ton, 3/4 ton, and diesel and 3 SUV’s. Company I work for goes back and forth on a supplier depending upon incentives. Last time I had a 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat EcoBoost. I really liked it, but started having issues at 60K with the cam phasers. This was a known issue, but that was the only thing I ever had problem with. This time I‘m in a 2020 Chevy 1500 LTZ with the 5.3 8 speed and really like it too. It’s not at quick as the EcoBoost but seems more refined I guess. My current LML has only one issues with the DEF heater and that’s it. Our 2012 GMC Yukon has 130K on it and the only thing we‘ve done to it was tire and batteries and that is it. Never even a CEL. I can honestly say over the years none of my GM vehicles have given me much issue at all. I’ve only owned one Chrysler product (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and it was fine. For me I just can‘t get into the Ram but they may be the best out there now, who knows. I think every manufacturer makes quality vehicles. I am brand loyal but would consider the new 6.7 powerstroke if I traded my LML off. The 475 hp/1050 tq with a 10 speed should be a beast. Wonder how GM will respond to that.

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
I have heard horror stories about problems with all three newer model diesels. If my LLY ever breaks, I will probably spend whatever time it took to find a good, solid LBZ that hasn't been lifted or thrashed. That would be my only "another GM again" purchase. I know there are good LBZs are out there but getting harder to find. So far, my LLY has done everything I have asked it to do and has never let me down.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've owned 7 Chevy Trucks, 5 new ones, since 1974. All of them except the '74 (first vehicle, bought used, 1/2 ton long bed, 350 2bbl with an automatic, hated the truck and sold it in 3 years), were purchased new. Put no less than 200k miles on them and had no real problems, outside of normal maintenance items. My last truck was a '02 2500HD, CCLB, LB7 DMax with the rare 6 speed ZF transmission. The biggest issue i had with this truck was clutches but took care of that with an aftermarket solution. The factory injectors where changed at 199k miles, and the second set where still in the truck with 240k miles on them and doing great. When i sold the truck back in February, it had over 440k miles on the clock. The truck itself was solid. Only items on the truck that was changed was a total rebuild of the front end with 350k miles, the hydra-boost and brakes. The interior repairs included changing the console lid (material was tearing where i rested my arm) and had 1 panel on the driver's seat changed and had the foam rebuilt. I sat in this seat for over 9k hours!

My new 2020 is freakin awesome. The technology on these new trucks is incredible. The truck is quiet, no rattles (i totally despise rattles) and has a really good ride. I haven't hooked it up to a big load yet, but i am really impressed so far. The 10 speed is butter smooth when shifting. The truck is averaging around 19 MPG hand calculated, so i am really pleased with that. The wife and i got out of the house yesterday evening to go for a ride, opened the sun roof and cracked the back glass and just rode the country roads for a couple of hours....it was great!

My wife has owned 3 Tahoe's since 2000. The first two of them, a first year 2000 (no trouble with that vehicle, son totalled it on his 18th birthday) and the second a 2005, have gotten at least 160k miles. The last 2, the 2005 and current 2012, have been loaded LTZ's with sun roofs and have had hardly no issues at all. Her current Tahoe is a 2012, loaded LTZ with over 100k miles and the only issue on this one is the passenger outside door handle has broken, and that was very recent. Besides that, all of these vehicles have rock solid.

So after this long winded post, i will say i have always been, and will continue to be a Chevy guy...in my experiences, it is hard to argue with success!

-Mark

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have heard horror stories about problems with all three newer model diesels. If my LLY ever breaks, I will probably spend whatever time it took to find a good, solid LBZ that hasn't been lifted or thrashed. That would be my only "another GM again" purchase. I know there are good LBZs are out there but getting harder to find. So far, my LLY has done everything I have asked it to do and has never let me down.
I’ll be honest the cost of potential repairs on these newer diesels does give me some anxiety for sure, especially the emissions and fuel system. However, it would be hard for me to go backwards in technology and capability now. The LBZ is a great platform, but it was on a smaller frame, smaller, brakes, and was only rated at 360hp/660tq. I went from an LMM to an LML and the LML tows heavy loads much better. The L5P is even better than the LML. Just looked at the specs on a new GMC 3500DRW last night because I may need to do some very heavy towing with a future opportunity. The new 3500’s have a potential GCVWR rating of 40K (when properly equipped)! That’s significantly higher than say a F450/550 from 10 years ago. Should a guy be pulling 30K with a 3500? Maybe not but the potential is there. Plus the ride is better, interiors and technology are light years ahead of 10 years ago ( however the 06-07interiors were actually pretty nice). Having said that next pickup I purchase will probably be a base with vinyl. Just hard to justify another $10-15K+ for leather and lot of gadgets I never use. I can upgrade the seats to leather for $1500 if needed anyway. I’m gonna keep the 15 SLT as it only has 50K on it right now and it’s in excellent condition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seen a lot of guys that were not diesel guys but bought them and experienced problems then were totally turned off by diesels , It‘s not a good look for the regular guy to see 2017 to 2019 then GM makes big changes in the diesel makes some guy Leary of that truck for now .
I wanted the last year 2019 3500 SRW and got one of the last builds of the older body , would have been nice if GM would have did the 2020 Duramax up grades on the late 2019 but they could not even get my glow plug recall fixed til last week ... LOL
May sound petty but when I went to install my custom headache rack had lights I was running the wires on the underside of the new 2019 , the factory zip tie self adhesive mounts to hold the wire looms were not sticking From the factory .
GM cheaped out and did not use 3m adhesive tabs , I installed 3m tabs and they suck and had re due GM’s work on my 75k brand new truck .
That was little stuff but really pissed me off .
So I figure I would see what you guys thought on new GM products , my buddy is older guy not computer savvy .
My buddy was never a Japanese Truck guy but likes my trucks . I still have my 1990 GMC Suburban Cummins conversion with NV4500 just the big toy . I have 2019 GMC 3500 , 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser possibly the best SUV from the factory I have ever owned . I have a 2015 Tacoma 4cyl as my beater truck being in the greater northeast salt is horrible here so I drive that in the slop .
Thanks some in sight to what you guys thought .

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is not a new truck, or new car for that matter, that I would be interested in buying today. I currently have a 72 Chevy K20 project truck, a 99 Chevy 1500 parts truck, a 2000 Blazer ZR2 and the 2001 Chevy 2500HD. My wife, on the other hand, has a 2019 Subaru Legacy.

There are way too many gadgets and nanny devices on new vehicles today for me, and I'm too old to try to learn to learn how to use them. When everything in a vehicle is controlled by a computer and you can't fix a problem with a wrench anymore, I'll pass.

I will say the best truck I've ever owned, aside from enough hp/torque, was a 90 Chev 1500. It did have one computer on it for the TBI, though. Never had a problem with it other than standard maintenance. My wife made me sell it to our son, who never changed the oil in it. The engine locked up and he walked away from it, swearing he always changed the oil. He finally admitted after 10 years that he never changed the oil. It was like sludge when I made him change the oil in it in front of me after he had it for a couple of years. Three flushes of the engine could not save it at that point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is not a new truck, or new car for that matter, that I would be interested in buying today. I currently have a 72 Chevy K20 project truck, a 99 Chevy 1500 parts truck, a 2000 Blazer ZR2 and the 2001 Chevy 2500HD. My wife, on the other hand, has a 2019 Subaru Legacy.

There are way too many gadgets and nanny devices on new vehicles today for me, and I'm too old to try to learn to learn how to use them. When everything in a vehicle is controlled by a computer and you can't fix a problem with a wrench anymore, I'll pass.

I will say the best truck I've ever owned, aside from enough hp/torque, was a 90 Chev 1500. It did have one computer on it for the TBI, though. Never had a problem with it other than standard maintenance. My wife made me sell it to our son, who never changed the oil in it. The engine locked up and he walked away from it, swearing he always changed the oil. He finally admitted after 10 years that he never changed the oil. It was like sludge when I made him change the oil in it in front of me after he had it for a couple of years. Three flushes of the engine could not save it at that point.
We still have a 92 and 94 Sierra 1500 that we still use around the ranch. They are both 5 speeds and that’s very handy when your working by yourself and can let it creep in low gear. Every year I have to put a little bit into them, but doesn’t bother me because you can’t find manual trannys anymore and I don‘t have to worry about tearing them up. The 92 has 150K (but very hard miles and third engine) and the 94 has 250K and it doesn’t burn much oil but it was taken better care of over it’s life. I agree they are very anemic compared to say a 5.3 or 6.0 but they are pretty much bulletproof. I still like that bodystyle too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also had a 2016 GMC 3500 SRW did not haul much with the truck and at 8k the Gov lock started to give a lot of chatter feed back when I made tight left turns , dealer put a new carrier in that truck .
My Girl has a 2017 Subaru Forester with the WRX 2.0 engine , Subaru stopped putting that motor in the smaller vehicles due to emissions , I think it had something to do with California .
That little SUV runs great and gets 28+ MPG she has 35k on it never had a problem .
I have 1991 454ss in one of my storage waiting to free up some time to give her a restoration that was a fun truck speaking of Tq/HP
Did GM have problems with the 5.3 I remember reading about a piston ring problem guys burning oil problem ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since 2006 iv had the below

2006 GMC 1500 SLT 4x4
2010 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
2013 Toyota Tundra (absolute POS)
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
2018 Ford F250 XLT 4d4 Diesel
2020 GMC 2500 Denali 4x4 Duramax

My Duramax is by far the better truck I've had, MPG, ride comfort, Technology, cab noise

My 2014 Ford was a nightmare, at 115,000 miles the tranny and transfer case went out, upgraded to the F250 and although it pulled great and had great power the fit to finish was subpar, noisy doors, rough ass ride, and the clunky shifting Tranny, not to mention the MPG was terrible.

Next round of pickup I will consider a Ford F250 again, but they need to make some improvements in the comfort side before I'll switch back. Full disclosure I spend many hours behind the wheel.

I'm not brand loyal, but after test driving the GMC I was hooked, had a great dealer who let me keep over a weekend to really get a feel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My buddy who did the lease on the 2017 also the nightmare , when the lease was up he went back to the Ford side .
Having Fords at my work for service trucks , they took notes from GM with the 2017+ using the same body but switched to Aluminum ... Every truck we have that is Aluminum looks like a golf ball , every truck is covered in dents .
We have a metal shop and have resorted to making guards for door jams and beds . the aluminum is so thin guys were putting holes in the bodies .
I like the GM bodies up to 2019 , not sure if GM started to switch over to aluminum panels yet . I just bought the 2019 last year , truck is been good so far besides all the recalls .
Never had a problem with a Tundra , I had a few of those 2015 and 2017 till I switched over to a land Cruiser .
We had a 2016 Suburban and had nothing but problems , lucky my local dealer owned a GMC and Toyota Dealer and got a good trade value on the Land cruiser and have not had a problem .
Trying to help a buddy shop around for the best truck for his buck . Lots of choices out there , seems most dependable would be the Toyota or F150 so far .

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Until the shutdown is over it will be extremely difficult to buy a truck or to get the DMV to process the paperwork to change the title and registration. With the screwups by the president and lack of testing, still, the economy is in for a big hit with the working class folk. Many people will find themselves unable to make payments on their new truck and so they will be handing them back to the bank. In 6 months I would expect that very low mileage pickups will be selling at a considerable discount.

My choice for a new or used 1500 pickup these days would definitely be a Ram and one with theV-6 engine, 3-gallon fuel tank and the electronic locking rear differential and 3.55 or 3.92 gears and the tow package. The Tundra would be my second choice as it is very reliable but gas mileage is poor and it only comes with anti-spin rear differential which is like traction control where the brakes are applied to the faster spinning wheel. The Tundra is the most reliable pickup and that is important to the people who buy them. I have put more than 170,000 miles on each of 4 different Toyota 4WD trucks and that included a lot of serious offroad travel and I never had a breakdown or had to do anything other than scheduled maintenance on any of them. When I sold them every part of the truck, inside and outside and under the hood, was still working great with no play in the steering wheel or in the gearbox.

With GM 1500 trucks the gas tanks are puny and no locking rear differential and rougher ride. With current EPA regs a larger aftermarket fuel tank to replace the factory one is only an option for diesel engines so one is stuck with one ships out on the truck from the factory. The F-150 have their own issues with terrible quality control and design problems and I would only take one as a gift (and then sell it and buy a Ram).

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I am buying something to tow, do work with etc....I usually buy used. I would by GM in that regard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts