Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question for some people??

If you had remote start(aftermarket) on your pickup would you start it with the block heater plugged in??

I would not... but I have a buddy who does it religiously with temps up to 35F..

Any ideas what damages could be caused from doing so??

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Absolutely would. Up here there's no point having remote start if you have to unplug the vehicle before you start it. My dad was a GM service manager for 25 yeas and I've never heard of a problem with doing that. Every vehicle I've ever had with factory or aftermarket remote start has worked just fine while plugged in.

SENT FROM MY S3

·
Registered
69 Posts
The only damage you'll ever do is if you forget to unplug it before you drive away!

CH

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet thanks guys. I guess I just looked at it with a closed mind set of not doing it.
What about length of time?

Typically I will let the truck run for 10 mins while im getting ready to leave for work. (I know it doesnt need that length of time but never hurt anything execept the wallet.

15 mins plugged in and running shouldnt be a problem????

·
Registered
261 Posts
what problem do you really think it would cause??

The block heater is just a heating element in the water jacket.

·
Registered
2011 Silverado 2500HD LT2 CCSB
435 Posts
The only damage you'll ever do is if you forget to unplug it before you drive away!

CH
We have shorelines for all our fire truck and put a pig tail just a 8" cord with a male and female ends on them. It prevent ts damage to both the truck and cord/outlet if you forget to unplug it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
nothing wrong with starting it when its plugged in. but there is a good chance of over heating if you leave your truck running for awhile and its warm enough outside with it still plugged in.
If it's cold enough to need to be plugged in it won't over heat. I run mine the full amount of time the factory command start will let me both times and have a winter front and it has never been even up to normal operating temperature when I get in.
SENT FROM MY S3

·
Registered
513 Posts
You should not overheat your truck if you have it running with the block heater plugged in. The truck has a cooling system that can handle a 300 hp engine that may be 60% efficient. I am sure the cooling system can handle a 1500 watt heater. That is about 2 hp.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Your truck isn't going to overheat from being plugged in while running. The cooling system is so large, I would think it would be almost impossible to do. If your truck needs to be plugged in, it sure the heck won't overheat while running with the block heater on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I remote start my truck every morning leaving it plugged in and it never comes close to running temp, I let it run for 20 minutes but it needs to get going to warm up. This morning was -40 so I'm not about to go out and unplug my truck before I start it haha

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Leaving your heater plugged in when you start the truck won't hurt the engine. It could, however, hurt the block heater. The water around the heater is really warm, and when you start your pickup the water pump could push a bunch of ice cold water by it. Kind of like throwing hot water on a cold window.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It won't hurt anything to start it while plugged in. Like I said in a previous post, I've never heard of a problem like that and we plug in probably 60-100 days a year up here.

SENT FROM MY S3

·
Registered
813 Posts
One thing i do with block heater cord in winter or power cord for camper in summer (if i plug it in) , I always throw a loop on cord and hang it on drivers mirror , can't miss big orange thing across driver's door and mirror ( have to move it to open driver's door)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like everyone else said, I've had no problems leaving it plugged in when starting. I like the idea of looping the cord over the mirror, but my block heater is on the passenger side. Do you just run it around the front of the truck?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.