Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I may wind up getting a hold of a totaled 2002 LB7/ allison 4x4. We are thinking about swapping it into a 2003 chevy 1500 4x4 reg cab short bed. This may be fun to play with! :D

Lets think, that truck is flat out light! This could be alot of fun! :cool

Either that or we will part it out. I don't know yet. Depends on the amount of damage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
so you got everything worked out jason?....what did the final price end up being if you dont mind me askin....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not really sure yet. I think we are going to do some horse tradin and I really want to see the exent of the damage. Either way, I should be able to comeupt witha motor and trans is grwat shape. The debate still goes oo about what to do with it. It like the 1/2 ton idea myself. :fart :peelout

·
Registered
352 Posts
yes stick it in a reg cab short bed 4x4 1500 that would be a machine, that would also mean 4 wheel drive burnouts :peelout :fart

·
Registered
269 Posts
That would be pretty cool. Even though I hate the look of half ton shortbeds.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
sounds like a cool idea...if it works. I read that the diesel weighs too much for the frame of the 1500. also I think it would twist the frame. You would need to have the rear end out of the wrecked one too unless you like rebuilding rear ends. there will be a lot of fabrication on this project. If you do go doing this, make sure to post some pics and do a write-up on it. I'm sure if there is a will, there is a way to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
new guy

I got an 03 dura /ally with the banks six gun speed loader happy with that and magna flow exhaust turbo back. I had the injectors replaced about 2 years ago by dealer recall . I got the performance stuff on about a 1 1/2 ago it just stareted smoking heavy blue smoke at stops. performance and mileage are still great. i see some of yall are not big fans of banks other than price what else. please more info did i make a mistake? I am real happy with it give a lot of mustangs a run for there money...

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Banks stuff doesn't seem to make the trucks as quick. Most guys like to have the black smoke.....banks programming doesn't allow for this. I can't comment too much on banks stuff since I haven't actually talked to anyone or known anyone that uses it on their trucks up here in Alaska other than exhaust. (at least on their duramax) I bought my truck with the TST programmer already on it, I have just stuck to it since I don't want to spend anymore money on programming other than the power pup...and I wish I would have spent it on the predator. There isn't anything really wrong with Banks stuff....except for the high price.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Banks is overly coservative and also likes to claim increases that aren't really completely true. They like to test a few vehicles and take the top number othey get on thier dynojet and advertise that number, even if the other trucks tested were 10% lower. I ran a 6 gun on my 03 cummins and it felt no different than my Edge EZ. Some people like Banks because they aren' real radical, some don't. Bottom line is, what are you willing to pay. With Banks you pay more for less. Its not a bad box by anymeans, just over priced and under powered in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like a cool idea...if it works. I read that the diesel weighs too much for the frame of the 1500. also I think it would twist the frame. You would need to have the rear end out of the wrecked one too unless you like rebuilding rear ends. there will be a lot of fabrication on this project. If you do go doing this, make sure to post some pics and do a write-up on it. I'm sure if there is a will, there is a way to do it.
Yeah, I expect something like this to take some time and energy. I think it would be a lot of fun to build though, and drive. Either way. I am going to try and get the truck Then we can see just what we are getting into. I fully expect some fab work to be done, and I had planned on installing a full cage. i think that should help the frame twist issue a little, stiffining up the frame with the cage. I planned on using the 3/4 ton rear end and the centersection and halfshafts frome the 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Banks reps will preach up and down about how safe their stuff is. While that is true, ther'es still a lot higher powered and cheaper stuff out there that is just as safe as long as you are smart with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
would it possibly be easier to swap sheet metal and just shorten the 2500HD frame in the rear to accomidate the 1500 SB?

Obviously this is blind statement in that I don't know the wrecked truck's frame condition but if its alright, this would likely be easier with overall less fabrication to be done?

C-ya

1 - 13 of 13 Posts