Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am looking for a good used (not cracked) rear extension housing to fit my 01 Allison 1000 4x4. Hopefully cheap, maybe donated with my cost for shipping :thumb haha

Anyways, the truck is a work truck and I really don't want to dump a ton of money on a new one, unfortunately I cannot find any used ones locally without buying a whole trans, and I'd rather not have to trip over a spare trans in the garage lol

Anyways, if anyone has one please let me know. I am in Ontario Canada, and obviously willing to pay shipping on top of the cost, thanks

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Note---- Important-!!

To replace the rear extension-- you have to remove the trans-- stand the trans on the Bellhousing. Then remove the broken extension, and then install the replacement.

If you try to do it in the vehicle-- Major $$$ trans problems-!!!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I might have one. I will get back to you when I check out the parts in the shop.

If it is good I will do $200+ shipping... Most are ~$400+ shipping, and new is ~$550

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Note---- Important-!!

To replace the rear extension-- you have to remove the trans-- stand the trans on the Bellhousing. Then remove the broken extension, and then install the replacement.

Is there a thread on this? I'm going to have to do the same. Not trying to derail the thread

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note---- Important-!!

Thanks for the tip! Trans is already out and standing up with the housing off. The good used housing I had lined up locally fell through... my luck, so now its just been sitting like that waiting to go back in!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a thread on this? I'm going to have to do the same. Not trying to derail the thread
Its fairly simple! This is my second time doing it myself on the garage floor... Getting the trans out is the hardest part, especially as a one man team with a standard floor jack haha

Once the trans is out its straight forward.. Stand the tranny up on the bell housing to keep everything aligned, remove the 10,000 bolts holding the housing on, remove the output shaft/planetaries from old housing (need a spanner nut or 4x4 socket), install a new gasket and re-install housing, re-install tranny...

Not the most detailed way to explain it, but if your mechanically inclined enough to get the tranny out, then you can handle it. If your getting a shop to re and re the tranny, they can swap the housing!

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
That doesn't sound bad at all. Now what's inside there? How difficult will it be clean, my fluid is NASTY looking. Do you know the toque spec's by chance? I'll call Mike L when I'm ready to do this, just as a confidence booster.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I am sure shipping will be simple enough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I may have found one locally (whole trans actually) for dirt cheap. I was at my local shop earlier grabbing filters, gaskets, fluid etc and they did not have a rear extension housing gasket and had to order it. My question is, do I really NEED a new one...?

My old gasket came off in one piece, no rips/tears/cracks and is clean on both sides. Not worn looks to be good. However I do not know how prone this area is to leaking and how much the gasket really retains etc. I know its stupid because if the old gasket fails I will have to remove the trans again to replace it, which is double the work. However I really need to get this truck together asap and may not get a gasket until Monday.

If I have to use a new gasket I will wait or try and find one somewhere else, drive a little further. But if my old gasket is fine and replacing it is just preventive maintenance I need to get this thing back in tonight!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so a little update for anyone following.. I just got my new used tranny home, $300 out of a running/driving truck, so I got my housing and have a spare trans for other parts if needed, and I also didn't have to pay my local shop to remove/replace the output shaft/planetaries which is a bonus.

Can anyone tell me what the visual difference is between the oem extension housing, and the updated one like merchant sells? I think this new tranny has an updated housing on it (already replaced in the past), but if someone could tell me the difference I will know forsure.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts