Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to both the front shocks. Front shocks will disintegrate their boots. 5100 series - 2016 LTZ 2500/SB/Crew/No Lift/Bone Stock/Road Queen

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
How old are the shocks?

How many miles on these shocks?

Was there oil leakage from the shocks?

·
Super Moderator
2,527 Posts
Whoa, I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.
Email or call them. They have good support. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
In your first pic, is it just a melted boot or is that damage to the actual body as well?

I have never felt any other shocks but I will say i have felt my old 5100s get hot on the body, presumably from dampening. I will mention tho with that, my boots always came with a small zip tie that would help affix the boot to the body itsself. It appears you are missing those ties, which would expose the boot to the intentionally designed heat dissipating body, ultimately creating a hot spot on the rubber. The boot should only cover the exposed piston to reduce road grime from sticking and sucking dirt through the O-ring.

·
Administrator
30,052 Posts
I had a rear shock melt on my 2009 new from the DPF regen, surprised to see failures like that in the front. Good information to share, thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In your first pic, is it just a melted boot or is that damage to the actual body as well?

I have never felt any other shocks but I will say i have felt my old 5100s get hot on the body, presumably from dampening. I will mention tho with that, my boots always came with a small zip tie that would help affix the boot to the body itsself. It appears you are missing those ties, which would expose the boot to the intentionally designed heat dissipating body, ultimately creating a hot spot on the rubber. The boot should only cover the exposed piston to reduce road grime from sticking and sucking dirt through the O-ring.
The pic with shock on truck is the first time it happened. It does look worse than it is, fooled me the first time too. The black is actually part of the boot. It went back to vendor for warranty (long story). The other pic is what I removed from the two shocks currently on the truck. I'm not concerned about warranty, I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this. I can't see replacing them if it's going to be an ongoing issue. The zip ties are/were there. One I just clipped off (boot was already destroyed) and the other two went missing after a period of time as the boot disintegrated. As it stands now about 50% of the original boot is still intact. Just seems an odd issue for shocks I presumed were "top'o the line."

·
Registered
209 Posts
I googled "melted bilstein shocks" and it was surprised at how many hits is received. It seemed that most had some driving time on washboard roads however.

Reactions: DaMax'm

·
Registered
108 Posts
10 years ago (ish), they had bushing issues (bushings disintegrated), now boot issues.

I can say that their customer service was really good. That said, after a second set destroyed the bushings, I'm no longer running Bilsteins.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I was an owner 10 years ago when the bushing issues happened on my 5100s. One email and I had new ones on my doorstep in 2 days free of charge. And the replacements were no joke!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Appears that they used the wrong type of material when building the boot. Hopefully the intervals survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. I find it odd they don't manufacture for heat dissipation instead build so it is retained. Easy solution, unless I'm missing something would be to just make the boots about half the size there are now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
10 years ago (ish), they had bushing issues (bushings disintegrated), now boot issues.

I can say that their customer service was really good. That said, after a second set destroyed the bushings, I'm no longer running Bilsteins.
I was an owner 10 years ago when the bushing issues happened on my 5100s. One email and I had new ones on my doorstep in 2 days free of charge. And the replacements were no joke!
With the experience I had on the first "failure" like this, their customer service seems to have changed - for the worse. I was dealing with a vendor through Amazon and he had me send it back to Bilstein, on my dime. Then I waited and waited. Finally, tired of the wait, I went through Amazon for a refund. I have no idea what transpired between the vendor and Bilstein after that point.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Plausible - but thats an Amazon issue not Bilstein. Amazon is basically a shopping mall with a bunch of different suppliers, which is a fantastic thing. In a case where youll need warranty work, Amazon basically becomes nothing more than the shipping source who has an internet marketing team. They'll send it back to the business you bought it from and that business has to deal with the manufacturer so it adds a lot of hands to the pot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plausible - but thats an Amazon issue not Bilstein. Amazon is basically a shopping mall with a bunch of different suppliers, which is a fantastic thing. In a case where youll need warranty work, Amazon basically becomes nothing more than the shipping source who has an internet marketing team. They'll send it back to the business you bought it from and that business has to deal with the manufacturer so it adds a lot of hands to the pot.
Oh, I know. In this case I actually sent it back directly to Bilstein per vendor's instructions. Contacted vendor numerous times only to hear he hadn't heard anything. Amazon was really not in the loop until I contacted them frustrated with the waiting.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Many years ago I drove an F350 work truck servicing TV/FM broadcast sites on the west coast. That truck would melt shock boots like that, and found one of the front wheels (they were steel) had a pretty significant bend to it, so it rolled down the highway a bit like an egg would. I kept telling the shop supervisor at my company the truck drove like crap, he said "run it" so I did.

Might check for wheel vibration, tire balance, etc... I remember that work truck of mine going through about 3 sets of front shocks in the time I worked at that place.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts