Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard all Chevy's in 2006 were XM ready but I don't know about mine. I have the Bose system with disc changer and everything but no XM. I want to buy a plug and play system but I want it to connect to my factory stereo, I don't want to tune through FM. I've seen the post about the Ipod Aux but I need to know about Sat. Radio. Also, if there is one for sat. radio will it also work with my ipod? or do I have to purchase them seperately. BTW, i've found some that will work with sat. radio but from what I gather I won't be able to use the CD changer anymore with them. Thanks

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
every GM truck/SUV has been "XM ready" since 2003. If you look in your glovebox at the RPO sticker and you see "UB0" "UB1" or "UC6" then your truck is XM ready.

(except the absolute base model radios that dont have a CD player or anything, those are not XM ready)

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The antenna over the driver side is for On Star, there is a similar "black box" looking thing over the passanger side, that is the XM antenna if it is installed. You can get the factory installed XM set up off ebay or even from your local dealer, I did some research on it when I got my 03 last summer, it's around $350 and comes with everything you need and it's a GM part#. 03 04 05 06 07 Sierra Silverado XM Satellite Radio : eBay Motors (item 220174015357 end time May-06-10 18:33:18 PDT) I ended up just getting a plug and play Sirus set up, and vehicle specific bracket from crutchfield and used an FM direct Adaptor, New Sirus XM FM Direct Adapter FMDA25 - eBay (item 260563656110 end time May-04-10 10:26:33 PDT) it's similar to an FM modulator, you set the station on your plug and play system and then tune your radio, but you will NEVER get interferance becuase it is wired directly inline with your antenna. I got my whole set up, Plug and play unit, boom box, home kit, and car kit for $60 on craigs list, plus another car kit, plug and play radio and FM adaptor for $15 off ebay. It's a clean set up, I can use my one subscription in both vehicles, the house and when were tail gating. Only down side is you cant change stations with the wheel controls, but for the portabilty and $200 in savings, I think its worth it. I can post some pics tonight, I was going to into another post but I lost the pictures.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
just a warning. DONT BUY A USED FACTORY XM RECEIVER. Even if its from the exact same type/model truck as yours. They are permanently VIN-locked to the vehicle they came out of/were installed in from the factory and will not work in your truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts