Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not an opinion based thread!!

Want to DIY stack. Anybody that has done this feel free to pitch in any tips or how you did it.

I just have some questions.

Do i have to go with a bigger exhaust under the truck i.e. a 4" section? if so can i just chop the 3 1/2" off and weld the 4" to it then the 4" to the 8"?

Or can i just go straight off the 3 1/2" (doubt this is an option)?

Things i need: 1. 90 degree elbow, 1. 8" stack, 1. possibly 4" section of exhaust

Then i cut a 9in hole in the bed. Measure and cut the exhaust. Clamp the 90 degree elbow (flex pipe) run it to the bed and then weld the stack to that. and voila????

Thanks for any input!!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
What size is the base of the stack? Does it reduce to 4" or 5"? You can use reducers and go from a 3.5" to 4"/5" whatever you need. I would only cut the hole in the bed the size of the base of the stack

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow didnt even think of that... I guess when i figure out whether im gonna keep the 3 1/2" or replace it with a short section of 4". But ill probably go 4" to 5" because thats all the stacks ive seen have a 5" base

thanks for the input

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
my stack is a base of 7"... It doesn't shrink down till under the bed so you dont see it from the outside.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now i like that idea!!! Where'd you pick up your stack?

Do i need to make a brace for the bed of the pick up truck so it doesnt fall apart???? Looked and some guy with a cummins and his bed was held together by a tie down runnin width wise....

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Got my stack from Wally at FTE diesel. I love it!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
just a thought, i've purchased several stacks from big rig yards for anywhere between 35-75 bucks depending on size/quality and they've always worked out great. Ef spending 150+ on a stack. but that's just my 0.02

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
just a thought, i've purchased several stacks from big rig yards for anywhere between 35-75 bucks depending on size/quality and they've always worked out great. Ef spending 150+ on a stack. but that's just my 0.02
Completely agree... My buddy actually made my stack out of old Irrigation piping haha. I just bought the adapter plate and plumbing from FTE.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! Do they sell the stack with the top just straight? not looking for a mitre or anything just even at the top.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
no but they sell a 23 degree cut... if you want a flat top i would just go to big rig store/junk yard... but the pipe and cut it, then powder coat it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Nice! Do they sell the stack with the top just straight? not looking for a mitre or anything just even at the top.

Thanks for the help
If you've ever seen it on a big rig then you can find one on one of their junkyards lol. So yes. :thumb

Definitely NOT sent from my iPhone while jumping on a trampoline wearing a banana hammock..

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
If you've ever seen it on a big rig then you can find one on one of their junkyards lol. So yes. :thumb

Definitely NOT sent from my iPhone while jumping on a trampoline wearing a banana hammock..
Okay lets face it you not always jumping on a trampoline wearing a banana hammock... I feel like your lying. Bahehahaheha

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats exactly what i was thinking...but my area doesnt have a big rig junk yard. And chrome would be a pain to paint over. i was just gonna get a 42" section for the stack and paint it myself. What dimension elbow and reducer did you use Coal Roller? Your 0.02 are welcome here

Thanks again.

Think im gonna do a DIY write up and put it up here for other people interested...couldnt seem to find one

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Well the kit i bought just came with an adapter plate that goes from a 5 inch into a 7 inch... then the 90 degree elbow goes from 5" into my 4" exhaust. If you really want i can get a picture of the plumbing below tomorrow

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That would be extremely helpful! I would appreciate that greatly!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Okay lets face it you not always jumping on a trampoline wearing a banana hammock... I feel like your lying. Bahehahaheha
Oh... Oh but I am my good friend.. You are just suffering from the first stage, which is denial. Secondly comes jealousy.. Which is a slippery slope. You're just one stage away from right up my ally... You've been warned.. :rock

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Touche.. I want a banana hammock and miniature trampoline to jump on. Ill post pics of my plumbing tomorrow ;). haha

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha alright . Thank you

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Woah woah, careful thanking him dude... This sicko just used the words banana hammock + offered to post up pics of his "plumbing"... This could go HORRIBLY wrong :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
hahaha yea.. well we will find out tomorrow how it turns out

1 - 20 of 40 Posts