Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So This is my first post been readin forums here since I invested in a new to me 2007.5 Silverado 3500HD LTZ.

it's got just shy of 150K miles on it and since I don't know much of its history I am trying to get all the major maintenance items done before winter.:shock

It's my first duramax and my first diesel and come to think about it about the only thing I've ever spent real money on. Had a '98 K1500 prior(still have btw just not in use)

Anyway I would like to flush my trans using what you all refer to as the "Hoot" Method. Around here we call it a Redneck flush, detroit flush or something of the sort. My question is this, when I break the line and have the line discharging old fluid.... will the other line create suction from the pump?

I typically don't have an extra person hanging around to help, so if I could stick a suction line in a bucket of clean atf and just let it circulate its self back into the system I would much rather be able to do that.... anyone have an suggestions of how I could do this. maybe if I did it @ the oil cooler as opposed to at the trans?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
147 Posts
Drain pan, put in new internal, put pan back on , 20 ft lbs torque, put on new screw on, fill pan to recommended . pull off the FROM cooler line from trans, put hose on it into bucket, start and run thru gears 3 to 5 seconds, check fluid level in bucket, replace new into pan, repeast process, I did mine all myself, took a bit longer . Mine took 5 gallons

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so does that mean no I can't get suction from the other side of it? Or does that just mean noone has ever tried. may consider buying a 12v oil transfer pump

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, other reading this please correct me if I am wrong, you want to TO cooler line to stay connected to the trans, this will suck the new fluid from the pan thru the torque converter thru the cooler and then to the FROM cooler line which you should have going to a bucket, this way you will suck the clean fluid and it will be pushed thru the system flushing out old. I would the let the motor and trans do the work for you, if you try to push or pull fluid thru with a pump >??? I have read that the allison does not like power flushing, Hoot is the way I did mine, hope this help and sorry if I am confusing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand what you are saying, but everyone just keeps telling me what I already know lol... I know the line will spit ATF out. I want to know if there's a line that will suck clean atf right out of the bucket... meaning I or someone else won't have to try and get it down the dipstick tube.

I didn't mean to use a pump to flush it, i meant more so to keep a constant flow of clean atf going into the engine.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Ok, thank you, guess I will have to find someone to poor in 5 gallons of atf lol.

Does it help clean all the crap out if I cycle through the gears while doing this.

Looks like this is going to be a $300 trans flush, ohh well, that's less than a new transmission.

The BP stuff recommended by allison is right around $230 for the bucket. anyone else have any good recommendations? I have always been a fan of Lucas Oil products.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I ran Amsoil Low Viscosity fluid nothing good or bad to say about it, the only reason I chose Amsoil was because it was cheaper than the dealers recommended fluid. I only added 2.5 gallons when I did my shift kit for the second time... long story short it had one in it when I bought it and didn't know it. :mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can help you with fluid (AMSOIL torque drive) and get it to you cheaper than the BP brand. Plus I carry the filters and so forth you will need if you don't already have them.
Let me know if I can be of assistance.
No offense but I have my reserves about amsoil, and am a Lucas oil fan. I know there are millions of amsoil customers, but the few people I know who have used it in their work trucks or daily drivers didn't have anything positive to say about it. Granted their negatives were nothing major, I don't like paying for names, especially when it's something I have to special order. At least when I special order lucas oils I can pay cash money and have it in less than 24 hours. I will consider amsoil, but up to this point the positives I have heard have only been online.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also as far as I know amsoil won't pay allison to be licensed.... it's an extra peace of mind

CURRENT TES 295 Licenses
Approval Number Approved Marketer Product Brandname

AN-011001 Castrol Heavy Duty Lubricants TranSynd

AN-031002 BP Lubricants Autran Syn 295

AN-031003 Cognis Corporation Emgard 2805

AN-031004 International Truck & Engine Company Fleetrite Synthetic ATF

AN-051005 ExxonMobil Lubricants and Petroleum Specialties Company Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF

AN-071006 John Deere & Company HD SynTran

AN-1010007 Volvo Trucks North America Bulldog Synthetic ATF

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
Motor City, save yourself the troubles and money. You can do a drain and fill, run it for about 20k miles and do another drain and fill. You will use right at 1.5 gallons for each drain and fill. With that many miles, you should drop the pan and replace the internal filter while you are at it.

Plus drain and fill is really the only method that Allison recommends for maintenance on their transmissions.

If you are going to follow their fluid recommendations, I would think you want to follow their method recommendations also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
recomended tranny oil for 2003 duramax /w allisson

I tow a toy hauler full of toys alot it the desert (lots of heat) I'm doing an oil change on my allisson, does anyone have any recomendations for oil

·
Registered
49 Posts
So just a quick question. ive used amsoil in the past and have been very happy with it so would I be wrong to use it in the allison?? This is my first duramax diesel so im still new to the allison. my truck is a 05 3500 how much oil would this thing take if I did the internal and external filter change. Also is there any special way to refill or just put it right down the fill tube. My last truck was a 6.0 ford junk there was always some special bs way things had to be done or the thing would be likly to crap out thats why I ask. Thanks much

·
Vendor
10,955 Posts
So just a quick question. ive used amsoil in the past and have been very happy with it so would I be wrong to use it in the allison?? This is my first duramax diesel so im still new to the allison. my truck is a 05 3500 how much oil would this thing take if I did the internal and external filter change. Also is there any special way to refill or just put it right down the fill tube. My last truck was a 6.0 ford junk there was always some special bs way things had to be done or the thing would be likly to crap out thats why I ask. Thanks much
No you would no be wrong by using AMSOIL Torque Drive in your Allison. AMSOIL made Torque Drive by back formulating Castrol Transynd. If you look at the two fluids in a lab, they are identical. The total fill on an Allison is about 12.7 qts. If you drop the pan and change both filters, you are going to need to have 3 gallons of fluid on hand to ensure you have enough, but this will give you some for top offs too. All you can do it pour it down the dipstick tube.

If I can help you with AMSOIL products or filters, please let me know.

Take care,

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks much. so just use the torque drive atf stuff rather than the low vis stuff like the online catolog says is what to use for amsoil??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts