Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to salvage yard looking for 11.5 AAM out from under a 01-07 classic body style Duramax with duals for a conversion. All had roughly 1/4" movement in yoke from side to side - no matter the mileage. This is movement like a clock. Is this acceptable or standard? I hear that it is but can't confirm from anyone that's not trying to sell me a rear end.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I would think with that much movement there would be a lot of leakage. Personally, I wouldn't buy one like that. If one end is moving 1/4", what is happening at the ring gear?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Do you mean rotational backlash? If so, that might not be that bad. I'm sure you could get specs from AAM so you can assess these rear ends properly.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,523 Posts
Sounds to me as you are describing the backlash on the gear set, but looking at it out at the yoke. We set mine by dial indicator on the ring gear several years ago when I installed a locker in the rear, and then it seems like a lot more movement out at the yoke. If they are all about the same, pick one and run it. If you're worried about it being too much, pop the rear cover off and adjust the backlash. Its pretty simple to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts