Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy Forum members! My name is Adam and I joined up a few months back to educate myself in order to purchase my first duramax. I owned a 2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L that I still wish I never would have sold and just traded in a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW. Be easy on me and feel free to make suggestions since I'm new to duramax.

My new truck is a 2006 Chevy 2500 4x4 with 182,000 miles. It has an edge juice with attitude that I wasn't thrilled about because I was looking for a stock truck but other than the tuner everything else is stock performance wise. The previous owner just had a 6" rough country lift with 20x10 (-12 offset) Fuel Mavericks with some 305/55 AT'. I also wasn't thrilled about the lift because I wanted to reverse level the truck but I'm hoping he can get the stock suspension parts back from the shop for me. It was nice to get some brand new wheels and tires though.

So my plans are:
N-Fab steps because I'm too short to comfortably get in the truck haha
Lots of little cosmetic changes to improve appearance
Built trans
Lift Pump
EGR delete (Want to do the full delete, but need to learn more about this)
5" exhaust with muffler
MBRP downpipe
EFI live
PCV re route
Resonator delete
Pump rub if it's not already done...? The truck doesn't leak anything.

Let me know if y'all have any other suggestions of things to check or do. This will be my daily but I have another car for a commuter so I won't be putting tons of miles and want to keep it for as long as it'll last.

Last but not least....a picture the night I was driving it home. Just got it 11/13.

Reactions: dmaxuser and DaJokr

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
When doing modifications to the engine do them one at time, sometimes too many modifications at once just causes problems, nice truck...

Check the lower radiator hose, check the glow supply wire up by the hotside pipe, cant recall all the miscellaneous stuff I have done while inspecting the truck...
-

Before
-

-
-
Rub through
-

-
Rotated the retainer
-

-

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When doing modifications to the engine do them one at time, sometimes too many modifications at once just causes problems, nice truck...

Check the lower radiator hose, check the glow supply wire up by the hotside pipe, cant recall all the miscellaneous stuff I have done while inspecting the truck...
-

Before
-

-
-
Rub through
-

-
Rotated the retainer
-

-
Thanks for the tips. I didn't think about the one at a time modification thing. I guess my last truck was so new I didn't worry about it and did everything at once but in this situation your idea is better. Your pictures didn't show up but I will check those things when I get all into the truck soon.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Trans and pump rub can happen at the same time. If you don't enjoy turning wrenches or have a friend that's done a down pipe have it done with the trans. Buy a blocker plate and throw it in until you figure out who's kit you want to use. Resonantor and pcv can be done in 5 minutes with a trip to Home Depot and the parts store.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trans and pump rub can happen at the same time. If you don't enjoy turning wrenches or have a friend that's done a down pipe have it done with the trans. Buy a blocker plate and throw it in until you figure out who's kit you want to use. Resonantor and pcv can be done in 5 minutes with a trip to Home Depot and the parts store.
I've always done my own work so the only thing I plan to have done is the trans build. Of course if a shop does it I probably won't be able to do the pump rub at the same time unless I were to pay them to do it, which I don't want to do. I wanted to do the downpipe when I do exhaust...any issues with doing that?
I know a blocker plate is cheap but I just wanna do the entire delete right away. What's all this Y bridge business about? Is that something that MUST be addressed while doing a full egr delete? Thanks guys. Trying to learn about the duramax stuff. Seems less straight forward than cummins so far. Haha

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I've always done my own work so the only thing I plan to have done is the trans build. Of course if a shop does it I probably won't be able to do the pump rub at the same time unless I were to pay them to do it, which I don't want to do. I wanted to do the downpipe when I do exhaust...any issues with doing that?
I know a blocker plate is cheap but I just wanna do the entire delete right away. What's all this Y bridge business about? Is that something that MUST be addressed while doing a full egr delete? Thanks guys. Trying to learn about the duramax stuff. Seems less straight forward than cummins so far. Haha
I'm not sure how much a shop would charge to do a pump rub but it's doable yourself. The downpipe is easy after you do a couple takes me less than an hour. $10 blocker plate for now once you do a little research you'll end up wanting to do hot side, cold side, y bridge, lb7 up pipe or maybe all out on manifolds and uppipes. One thing coming from a cummins is there's a lot less room to work under there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure how much a shop would charge to do a pump rub but it's doable yourself. The downpipe is easy after you do a couple takes me less than an hour. $10 blocker plate for now once you do a little research you'll end up wanting to do hot side, cold side, y bridge, lb7 up pipe or maybe all out on manifolds and uppipes. One thing coming from a cummins is there's a lot less room to work under there.
I've definitely noticed the lack of room and that's one reason I want to do the entire delete....clean that area up a tad. I'm just gonna try and do things in an order that makes sense and prevents double work and double spending.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I've definitely noticed the lack of room and that's one reason I want to do the entire delete....clean that area up a tad. I'm just gonna try and do things in an order that makes sense and prevents double work and double spending.
You can also delete the factory fuel filter after you have a lift pump to free up some space. Cheap mod.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can also delete the factory fuel filter after you have a lift pump to free up some space. Cheap mod.
Awesome, thanks! I work offshore so my progress is on and off but I can't wait to get going on it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck with your LBZ build. Keep updating the thread, very interesting to read and gain knowledge so I can do mine someday.
Will do! I plan to try and include or have available some detailed information on the things I do so that I can repay the favors of the guys who help me out along the way.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I didn't think about the one at a time modification thing. I guess my last truck was so new I didn't worry about it and did everything at once but in this situation your idea is better. Your pictures didn't show up but I will check those things when I get all into the truck soon.
See if they show up in the link below.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/8839010-post4.html

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good list of items and truck looks nice. I'd second the factory fuel filter replacement after the lift pump and the egr block plate for now; cheap quick and easy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also, I had a guy do the MA pump run kit as I don't have a place to really work on transmission or t-cases and it wasn't bad, maybe $200 when all was said and done. Plus he got it done while I was working and it gave me some peace of mind.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good list of items and truck looks nice. I'd second the factory fuel filter replacement after the lift pump and the egr block plate for now; cheap quick and easy.
Also, I had a guy do the MA pump run kit as I don't have a place to really work on transmission or t-cases and it wasn't bad, maybe $200 when all was said and done. Plus he got it done while I was working and it gave me some peace of mind.
Thanks! Good information on the pump rub, may get a quote to get it done with the trans build and decide from there. I've been searching the forums for trans builders and think I'm gonna look into using Josh at Top Notch Garage. I wanted somewhere fairly local to drive it there and pick it up.

Any other suggestions guys?

·
Super Moderator
1,167 Posts
I don't have anything more to add that hasn't already been said, but will chime in to say I love the look of the truck in the picture you provided. Really makes me wish my truck had a 6" lift with 20x10 Mavs and cab lights.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't have anything more to add that hasn't already been said, but will chime in to say I love the look of the truck in the picture you provided. Really makes me wish my truck had a 6" lift with 20x10 Mavs and cab lights.
Thanks for the feedback! My original plan was reverse leveled so if I can't get the stock suspension parts back from the previous owner I may want to trade my lift for stock parts one day....we'll see if this lift grows on me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
All I've done so far is a little debadging, removed the plastic bed liner (prone to cause moisture build up/rust), and I checked that clamp near the radiator hose C20ELEPHANT and mine was clear.

Before and after of my door trim removal: (Sorry the glare kind of throws off the difference)

Installed this Pioneer radio so I now have bluetooth and hands free cell phone talking:

My plans have already changed because I've decided not to put a ton of money into this truck. Going to do EGR delete, exhaust, EFI live, CTS2 monitor, and a lift pump. Posted in the trade section to look for stock suspension because I'm only getting 14 mpg even on the highway....

Reactions: dmaxuser

·
Registered
88 Posts
Egr, exhaust, and cold air intake will help with mpg, get an economy tune with your efi live so it burns the cleanest/most efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 61 Posts