Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an '06 2500HD with the manual trans (all stock truck, no mods) and have been encountering a seemingly random problem with the clutch. I can drive it for 3 days with no problem, then a few times on the fouth day the clutch won't work. Step on the pedal, feels a little softer than normal and doesn't release the clutch. If I keep it in gear (2nd) at a light I can feel it grabbing but if taken out of gear it won't go back in. Pumping the clutch pedal doesn't help. Drive it or park it (doesn't seem to matter which) for 5-10 minutes and everything is fine again.

At first I thought it was heat related, possibly clutch fluid boiling or something (fluid looked original, very nasty) so I flushed out the clutch master and line down to the slave (done twice this past week - trying to get new fluid into the slave - what "engineer" came up with this bleeder-less system, anyways?) but didn't seem to help.

After searching on the various Duramax forums I am getting the feeling that my DM flywheel might be causing the problems - is there a new clutch in my future?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
make sure you have the clutch bleed out really well.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
other than that if your clutch doesnt dis-engauge then the clutch cover aka pressure plate is prolly getting weak and not allowing the clutch dis-engauge all the way. have you checked the throw out bearing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I figured that if there actually was air in there it would have the problem all the time and not be so random. D-SMOKE11, when you ask if I've checked the throw-out bearing, what do you mean?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I figured that if there actually was air in there it would have the problem all the time and not be so random. D-SMOKE11, when you ask if I've checked the throw-out bearing, what do you mean?
make sure its not blown apart or loose in there. that can change the way a clutch will perform due to it being sloppy. i would personally get a new clutch prolly a twin disc or triple disc if your going to replace it, and if your going to put power to your truck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess now I need to prepare to buy a new clutch & slave, huh? After searching the topic on various Duramax forums, a SB double is what most of you prefer, but I'm a little worried about a comment on their website about "over clutching", that is, buying a higher rated clutch than necessary for a particular application. What differences will I notice between their DD organic and the ceramic (pretty sure I don't need the feramic!)? Should I get the sprung discs? Will either of these be a problem with everything else being stock right now?

I do in the future want to install turbo-back exhaust and up the power, but as this is all new to me, I have not even begun to research either of those. Is there some tutorial or write-up on the net that explains what's good/necessary to do and the order in which to do them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts