Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching lifts the last few weeks and the zone 5in seems to be a good deal. There are a couple things about it that bother me though. They say you can't reinstall your factory 17in wheels after the lift is on. Is this the same with all the lifts on the LML? I was looking at putting 18in wheels with 35's but you can't have more that 4.625 backspacing. With the limited amount of wheel options out there in the 8x180 bolt pattern this really narrows down your options.

I'd like to see some pics of LML's with the zone kit and 18's with 35's. who all makes 18in wheels in 8x180 bolt pattern with 4.625 or less backspacing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have been looking at a BDS 6 inch lift and that is exactly what I was told but for me it is a non-issue because I got a SCREAMIN' DEAL on some aftermarket wheels just recently. From everything i have read, it seems like it applies to all suspension lifts.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i just put a zone lift on my truck yesterday we didnt start till 3pm and it was 4am by the time we got done with the front after breaking the torstion bar tool and the hoist in the shop that took 4 hours of the time, but anyhow no complants about the lift, after we got it all back together and were gonna take it for a test ride the truck wouldnt move come to find out the the tie rods are hitting the aftermarket 18" rpb rims i have on the truck i wasnt sure what the backspacing is seeing as there were on my lml when I bought it but I bought some 1/4 wheel spacers and now everything is fine truck rides like a cadliac, but if the rims had been 20s there would have been no problem or at least it looked that way, I orderd my wheel spacers this morn but we had put some washers on studs so I could get home I know not the best but I had to get home

·
Registered
296 Posts
we didnt do the rear blocks yet I wanted to rock the cali lean for a couple days I will post more picks up friday whens its done :thumb
dmax II.jpg

dmax.jpg

dmax III.jpg

dmax IIII.jpg

dmax 4.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
yeah it will be level by friday and I had leveling keys in before so I have the bolts almost all the way out on the tbars and the cv angles are pretty good there not complety flat but if I had the stock keys I could prob get better angles but I dont so it is what it is, the zone lift came with the stainless brake lines and a couple other small things that made it nice, I ordered a steering stablizer and it broke this morning backing into my drive way it made a pop and fluid was running out of it so its comming off and I gotta call zone in the morning, other than that I cant wait to clean the truck up get some good pictures and new rubber

·
Registered
296 Posts
yeah im just using a 1/4" spacer on the front nothing to big, and I pull trailers about everyother weekend during the summer and being such a small spacer I dont see the harm in it

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been researching lifts the last few weeks and the zone 5in seems to be a good deal. There are a couple things about it that bother me though. They say you can't reinstall your factory 17in wheels after the lift is on. Is this the same with all the lifts on the LML? I was looking at putting 18in wheels with 35's but you can't have more that 4.625 backspacing. With the limited amount of wheel options out there in the 8x180 bolt pattern this really narrows down your options.

I'd like to see some pics of LML's with the zone kit and 18's with 35's. who all makes 18in wheels in 8x180 bolt pattern with 4.625 or less backspacing?
I'm not positive on the Zone lifts, but I know with the BDS lift my truck sat on the hoist for a few days until my new rims and tires made it in. The stock 18's would not clear on my LML. I run a 17" xd misfit with 4.96 backspacing I believe. They are tight but clear. I didn't have to trim at all to clear 37 BFG AT's either.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,722 Posts
we didnt do the rear blocks yet I wanted to rock the cali lean for a couple days I will post more picks up friday whens its done :thumb
View attachment 71132

View attachment 71133

View attachment 71134

View attachment 71135

View attachment 71136
im confused

is that a block between the bracket and OEM jounce stop location??

to make it solid right there?

thought you had to have a jounce configuration for the suspension to work properly?!?!?! mine is a NTBD with 1/8" gap between that bracket and the trimmed jounce

thinking of cutting all that out and putting air bumps

think "Knagel" has the same kit but isnt running a solid part right there and doesnt have his bump stops or jounces in at all, and says it rides fine

·
Most Known Unknown
29,722 Posts
Knagel's Zone lift

without a solid piece for where his jounces are (look in the back behind the suspension work to see) (not talking about the main bump stop up front)

View attachment 72145

Haven't tried. I run my Zone 5" with the bumps removed but the cups are still there. If you are trying to lower that much im not sure what to do. If you cut the cups off you just need to be able weld them back on if it doesn't work :eek:

·
Registered
296 Posts
the lift has bumb stop lowering pieces, knagel just didnt install them I was thinking about not instaling them too but I figured it would be best to have them on there becasue your bumb stops do have a point of being there,

·
Registered
296 Posts
ok i read what you wrote with the attached picture im not sure what your talking about? did he leave the rear cross member out? the only thing I can see different is he didnt put the bumb stop lowering thingers in

·
Most Known Unknown
29,722 Posts
ya he didnt put the block in that you have in your last photo

to fill the space between the bracket and the frame cup

im running my kit with the similar bracket you guys are running with the TBD kit and i have the factory jounce bump in there, but its cut in half and has a 1/8" gap between it and the bracket (if that makes sense visually)

he isnt running anything
and your running the block

gets me thinking if i can make it solid as well or just not run anything in there at all

·
Registered
296 Posts
gets me thinking to remove my jounces and see how it is

he claims its great and doesnt bounce too much or sway on the highway

think he said he set it a 4" and is running 33"
leave them on there if you ever go off road always remeber that thoes keep your sus down where it should be with out your bumb stops your chance of putting your tire through your wheel well is greater if you go off road at all

·
Most Known Unknown
29,722 Posts
here is mine

obviously the bracket is higher than it should be and the jounce should be fullsize, but since lowering it down alot, i had to trim something, and its easier to cut foam than cut metal ;) was thinking to cut that all out and put air bumps with a new mount
View attachment 72150

off road?? whats that business......this is the only time ive been offroad

View attachment 72151

·
Registered
296 Posts
ya he didnt put the block in that you have in your last photo

to fill the space between the bracket and the frame cup

im running my kit with the similar bracket you guys are running with the TBD kit and i have the factory jounce bump in there, but its cut in half and has a 1/8" gap between it and the bracket (if that makes sense visually)

he isnt running anything
and your running the block

gets me thinking if i can make it solid as well or just not run anything in there at all

he has his lift turned down, with my leveling keys on the truck because I dont have the stock ones the lowest I could get my truck was 48" at the fender and I have about 2 inches inbetween my bumb stop and the lower control arm, maybe for you if you wanted to take them out find a smaller lift and order just the bumb stop extenders, so say if the ones you have now drop them 6 inches find a set that will only drop them 3-4 then you still have them there and you could have the piece of mind knowing that you have all your sus parts

1 - 20 of 44 Posts