Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

ZONE lift kit..driveshaft too short???

14K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  dirtymaxxx03 
#1 ·
So i installed the 6 inch Zone lift kit today on my 03' 2500HD.. i get everything done and go to connect my front driveshaft and its about 2 inches too short??? what gives? this kit is not suppose to require any drive shaft mods. i'll be contacting ZONE tomorrow to see if any one else has had this problem. looks like im going to have to take it off and go get it lengthened. not too happy about this :confused:

#4 ·
That's very weird. You sure you got it on right. Not trying to be a smart as. Try pulling on it pretty hard to come forward. May take a few really good jerks to pop free

#8 ·
I would be VERY VERY leary of someone who is going to re tube a driveshaft for $30.......Just saying.

#7 ·
I had a similar problem and was not happy when I held it up found an inch gap. It took a little pulling and I got it to slide out far enough to connect it. Only thing is now the dust boot is not covering the connection and a small length of the splines are showing.

#10 ·
i know a guy who works at the shop. he's done all my jeep driveshafts.
You guys also need to make sure you get the splines covered with that boot, maybe slide the back onto the transfer case and clamp the boot further down on the yoke shaft. Without that boot, those splines will get rusty and that yoke shaft will be stuck HARD in that t-case.

#12 ·
if i wanted it to fit then id have to take off the boot and have splines showing..i dont really want that so when i have a day off i'll just take it to get it lengthened...why would mine not be long enough but others long enough? doesnt make any sense..

#16 · (Edited)
i'd call zone that's bs!! but if you decide to add to the shaft, push the shaft in some and measure so you have a little play room... i wouldn't measure with it pulled all the way out..

personally, if they sold u a kit that supposedly didn't require any driveshaft mods, and it obviously does, i'd think they should send you a free front shaft or pay to mod your's...

#19 · (Edited)
Came off of a 98 wrangler sport. The Fitment was perfect. Perfect length and diameter. Plenty of spline still in the t case. Been running it like that for awhile now with no problems. I was running 2wd for the longest time and didn't feel like spending $150 for someone to hack up my driveshaft and lengthen it so I just started looking around my shop and found that boot I had in a box of random stuff. Had been sitting there for 5 years and I gave it a shot and worked great. Cost me nothing. I'll post some pics for you tomorrow if you'd like.

Back when I did my lift...I think I was the second guy on here to have the zone, after nousef0raname...so I couldn't figure out why I had this.problem because no had any experience with zone. I contacted zone but they had no idea what was wrong. The only other time I heard of this problem happening was with a guy on here with a LMM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.