Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start it off....
Im pretty new to the diesel world. I've always owned jeeps, and has been a hobby ever since i bought my first wrangler my sophomore year in high school. Since then Ive built my wrangler into a buggy on 39s and have a built cherokee also. I had always wanted a truck so i began to save around my freshman year in college (currently a sophomore) (20 years old).. I had searched and searched for the right truck for me and finally the right one came into my life. Found my 03' 2500HD LT for sale at the local Chevrolet dealership. it was perfect and exactly what i wanted. I walked in there and paid cash for it. it was in mint condition and came with a brush guard and ranch hand rear bumper. I bought this truck in late february, so ive had it for about 7 months or so. ever since then ive been doing stuff here and there on it.

Heres how i bought her..pretty much bone stock

the first thing i did to it was paint the bow tie black. and painted the lower plastic valence black. My friend also gave me his old 1500 keys and stock blocks, so i threw them on to give me a 2 inch lift on the 285 terra grapplers. I also got the windows tited 5% and painted the tool box with duplicolor truck bed lining. Within the first week, i ordered an intake, diablo sport programmer, and 4 inch magnaflow exhaust, and PPE boost valve.

The next thing i did is order some rockstars, and my plan was to keep them untill i installed my lift and got a new set of tires but my buddy gave me his old set of nitto mud grapplers for for free, so i threw them on...cant beat free!

I liked the look of my truck the way it was so i rode around with it like that for a few months. Theres a local GM junkyard not too far from my house. so i decided to stop by and look around. I noticed there was a 05-07.5 front grille laying in the grass up against a fence. I asked the owner how much? he looked at it, and saw it had a little crack on the inside and said free. So i went home and installed the new grille. i was pretty happy about it.

Im really into the blacked out look...so i blacked out my front end and put some 6K HIDs..i think it turned out pretty good. i also installed some towing mirrors.

Just another pic...green keys, 2 inch blocks, 35s. this is how it sat about a week ago.

Well is started saving up again and did my research on what lift was right for me. I ended up going withe the 6 inch Zone lift kit. I kept my keys up front, but removed the 2 inch block and replaced it with the supplied 5 inch. Heres a pic with the front end done but still with the 2 inch block in the rear. i figured all you guys who like the cali lean would like this :rolleyes:

And heres the finished project. I put this lift on by myself in my driveway while my friends watched... I took my time on it and spent my 3 day weekend doing it. my front fenders sit at 48 inches and my rear at 46. The kit is a great kit and didnt brake the bank.

--I have an add a leaf to install in the rear to level it out. the reason why im not lowering the front is because my 37 inch Toyo mud terrains should be here in 3 more days. so i want to clear 37s pretty well. the truck goes in for an alignment this friday, then i will install the add a leaf along with the 37s.. i'll be sure to post up some more pics.

My future plans are to re gear, efi live, and possibly look into some aftermarket turbos and transmissions.
let me know what yall think!:gearjamin

·
Registered
307 Posts
damn! Nice job! Looks impressive.

I didn't know the keys that were used to lift our trucks were old 1500 half ton keys, what did you do with them? I want to level mine and rather not keep cranking the stockers

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I like it! I love the look of lifted trucks, but I prefer the usability of a stock height one.
If I ever can afford to have two trucks then this one is staying the way it is height wise and the next one will be lifted!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks yall. Been working hard on it and putting my hard earned money into it also. And yes the 1500 keys lift 2500s. They are on and cranked up a tad ...what do you mean what did I do with them?? My old keys? Sitting in my shop. And yea as long as I can get my 4 wheeler in the back I'm good. The offroad park is only an hour so i can drive my jeeps without towing. Other than that I dont really tow. Unless you count going to lowes to pick up some dirt for my moms garden. Haha

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Damn that thing looks good. Get rid of the door moulding for the super black clean look. Makes a BIG difference on a black truck, first thing I did on mine pretty much.

Again, that thing looks awesome!:drink

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn that thing looks good. Get rid of the door moulding for the super black clean look. Makes a BIG difference on a black truck, first thing I did on mine pretty much.

Again, that thing looks awesome!:drink
I thought about taking them off and really like the look without them. I wasnt sure if they were just stuck on there with some kind if adhesive?? Or of there were holes behind it. So i didnt wanna risk taking them off. I thought about just spraying them black but if i can get them off with it looking like nothing was ever there then I'd do it. ...how'd you do it??

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Nothing behind them, just adhesive. I heated mine up with a blowdryer and peeled em off slowly. Then used a 3M eraser wheel to get the leftover adhesive off. Then waxed her up and done. Can't tell they were ever there. I've got pics in my sig link. I won't ho your thread up, lol.

And same with the tiny badges on the cab, they just peel off.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Truck looks great man, really has taken a change for the better :thumb

I'm with duraskank on removing the moldings and then might i suggest the 4x4 decals too?

·
Registered
382 Posts
All I see is red X's for some reason...Uncle Sam must have your photo host blocked :(

I'll be taking my time with the Zone also. Is it a pretty straight forward install? On base we got the hobby shop that has all the tools and lifts so it should make life easier.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Instructions are pretty straight forward. It was my first install on an IFS truck. If I would have had a car lift then it would have been 10 times easier.

·
Registered
412 Posts
hey man...can i get a pic from the front to see how cranked up you are...cant wait to see the 37's. im ready to order my lift, but i wanna make sure 37s will clear with a zone lift. other wise i need to save up for another 5years to buy a cognito. haha.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can definitely clear 37s with the 6 inch zone and keys. i just put on the add a leaf, getting the 37s put on this friday so i'll post more pics and get you a pic from the front. my cv angles look the same as they always have been or any truck with after market keys. but it rides much much better with a real suspension on it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
How is the quality of the zone lifts? I have heard there cheaper for a reason but I have heard they are good too? So hows the lift, I am looking at a lift fir a 1 ton I am looking at buying

·
Registered
46 Posts
How is the quality of the zone lifts? I have heard there cheaper for a reason but I have heard they are good too? So hows the lift, I am looking at a lift fir a 1 ton I am looking at buying
X2.... I'm looking at lift kits and I'm really leaning towards the Zone kit. let's us know how it's holding up

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i like it. all the brackets were beefy, came with alot of new hard ware. i did get the shock upgrade for $20..wasnt missing any parts and everything lined up. thats what i was impressed by the most. i was thinking to myself before i installed it...
"somethings not gonna line up and im gonna be drilling out holes"..well everything went on smoothly.. easy to install. put it on by myself. it took me awhile but that was because i was by myself laying on the ground and it was my first ifs lift kit install.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sweet good to know!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts