How To: Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DIY and Tech discussion discussion of the DIY threads go here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

How To: Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush

Today, I serviced the PS/HB system with a flush; I took some pictures and thought I’d share my procedure I do regularly to prolong the life of the PS and HB units and keep them functioning properly.

ITEMS NEEDED:

Drain pan
Large channel-lock pliers
5-6’ of 5/16” Fuel Line Hose (3/8" will work also, it's just what I had on hand. Clear hose to view fluid is another choice.)
Scrap piece of 1x6
Small funnel
2-3 quarts p/s fluid, Just buy a Gallon Jug, it's cheaper.

I'm currently using Royal Purple synthetic, but plain PS fluid is fine. I pull heavy in bad traffic and experience higher heat levels than the average user. I've experimented with few different syn ATF with mixed results. None proved superior, some were actually detrimental to performance. Looking for a synthetic PS fluid has proven to be an elusive endeavor. At this time of edit, only RP and AmsOil offer syn ps fluid. Again, regular PS fluid is fine to use.

Here we have the culprit at hand,

CAUTION: in the picture below, you’ll see the curved metal brace coming from the cowl. I STRONGLY recommend you place a rag, towel, blanket, or some kind of cushion in this area.

When giving the final pull on the LP return hose, the release/recoil will have the underside of your wrist striking this, with potential gashes and blood spilled on your truck, resulting in you cussing me later. I pull mine regularly and it comes off much easier than one that's been on for 70-80k miles.

(Edited with input from DF member fflmlf)
Open the PS reservoir cap to relieve any excess pressure BEFORE pulling the return line hose shown below.

Compressing the spring clamp,

turn the hose left and right to break the seal, then pull back off the nipple.

There will be a slight leak of fluid from the hose end when removed, so have a rag or paper towel in hand to catch and not make a mess.

The curved end of the hose (with rag/towel over end) will hook over where the Hydro-Boost unit meets the Master Cylinder, it'll be out of your way and not leak more fluid out.

Re-using the OEM spring clamp, I secure the drain hose at the HB unit

and lay the board down to hold the hose in place with the drain pan in site from the Driver’s seat.

With the engine running and in Park, SLOWLY depress the brake pedal till it feels firm at the bottom and hold, turn the steering wheel from 12-3 o’clock and hold, release the pedal SLOWLY to the top, then bring the wheel back to 12 o’clock. Look down and you'll see the flow and then you can adjust your speed of press and release actions so as not to spray fluid out of the drain pan. It may take 2-3 times before you see the fluid start to flow.

Here we see the old, burnt, and dirty fluid beginning to flow.

.....................Continued on the next post, I'm too picture happy to conform here.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 04-16-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 10:37 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Good wright up!!
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Part 2

Continue the same procedure alternately turning from 9 to 12 to 3 o’clock until you start to feel/hear the steering bind a bit, usually 4-6 pedal cycles, then turn off the engine.

Grab your funnel and refill to the bottom of the neck of the PS reservoir.

Hold up the funnel so you can see the fluid level coming up and not pour fluid all over, usually about a third of a quart at a time.

Climb back in, start ‘er up, and get after it again, repeating over and over till you see the fluid start to run clear. I know it is tempting to do but, PLEASE!, don’t leave it running while you refill the PS reservoir, the danger is too great to have your Left Arm get caught and have it get D-MAXED.

Here, we see the fluid is now running clean.

Leave the drain hose connected, check the fluid level in the pump, and fill accordingly to the Cold Line. It you over fill it, just pump the pedal a few times to drain.

Remove the drain hose, wipe the nipple clean of residual fluid, and replace the Return Line using the Spring Clip.

Start ‘er up, roll forward turning the wheel and feel the new ‘Creamy Cool Whip’ resistance in your steering, and yer ‘Good to Go’.

Consider also:
Your HB unit works in conjunction with your Brake system. Brake fluid is like a magnet for water/moisture and should be flushed annually to aid in longevity to your brake system components AND to keep the fluid's boiling point up to spec.

How To: Brake Fluid Flush

Also:
For as little as $35-ish, you can easily add a Power Steering Fluid Cooler to your HD.

How To: Add Power Steering Fluid Cooler
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 09-12-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:56 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

thanks for the "how to" i think im going to try that today

1016 hp

7.1 1/8 @ 100

11.27 @ 105
delong_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

It's amazing to see the junk that comes out of the bottom of the system. You'll wonder how it ever performed in that condition.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:59 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Smile That's good post..pics help too

I guess mine need it,I tow some heavy loads once a week or so.Thanks for the DIY.I will flush mine now that I know how smooth it goes...THANKS
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddysLBZ View Post
I guess mine need it,I tow some heavy loads once a week or so.Thanks for the DIY.I will flush mine now that I know how smooth it goes...THANKS
Much easier to perform than coming up with $400+ for a NEW HB unit!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:09 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Thumbs up Oh,don't worry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Much easier to perform than coming up with $400+ for a NEW HB unit!
I'll do meself,and spend the spare $$$ on fuel!!D
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 11:12 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Smoke. It's what's cookin

NIce write up. Might have to give it a try. How many miles were on that dirty fluid??

Ted Nugent
aggar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 12:00 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggar View Post
NIce write up. Might have to give it a try. How many miles were on that dirty fluid??
Not sure on the miles, I don't even keep track on it anymore as my use is out of GM parameters anyway.

IIRC, under heavy use, GM suggests intervals of 20k miles. That’s a BIG guess as everyone’s definition of ‘Heavy Use’ varies as much as the Owners use varies under even more diverse conditions.

On one end is a light commuter that occasionally pulls the Bass boat out on the weekends. In between is the Owner that pulls 10k lbs, 2-3 times a week. I’m on the other end, sometimes moving 60+k lbs daily.

Add in level or hilly terrain, highway or city use, in light or heavy traffic with extended repeated heavy braking for more than an Hour, how can one pick a definitive point to schedule service?

I just look for the telltale signs of Fluid Wear for my intervals. When backing a trailer and applying the brakes while turning the wheel, you can feel and/or hear, the PS pump whine/strain and sometimes an unusual feel to the pedal also.

Many folks will drive their gassers for hundreds of thousands of miles and never think of changing their PS fluid, then seem perplexed when the unit finally gives up. I have never seen or witnessed a PS pump failure in high mileage vehicles that had the fluid changed regularly.

It’s not uncommon for the HB unit to fail at 50-70k miles on many HDs that have lacked service in this area.

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 08-24-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.